Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I bought some aquatic plants to provide covered for parts of the musk tank. To my dismay, after 30 mins the buggers have started pruning the plants at the base of the stem and only a few remain. Is this common?! They haven't made any attempt to eat any, just destroy it!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It's not that normal for Musks as they are primarily carnivorous, but it does happen, they may just be checking it out to see if it's edible.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that normal for Musks as they are primarily carnivorous, but it does happen, they may just be checking it out to see if it's edible.
Yeah but they have kept pruning away. Going to have to buy more robust ones! Where can I get Duck weed?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
You'll find Duckweed on the surface of most ponds.

·
Super Moderator
16,918 Posts
See if you have any neighbours with ponds.

Sometime ago there was a user advertising their surplus - try the search facility, bit time consuming but she had plenty and no one wanted it. Of course once you have it you never run out providing you "grow it on" in a separate bucket or similar!

EDIT: It was the user fishyfeet - way back in April. Might be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I have tons of the stuff and could send you a starter batch for the cost of postage, but TBH it doesn't really post that well I don't think, any more than next day and it tends to go rather smelly and mushy! If you can find some from a local pond it'll be fresher and more likely to survive, and a lot cheaper.

You know you can't just dump it in with the turts? Well you can but they'll probably eat it all and then you'll have none again, you need to put it in an outdoor tub to multiply, then you can harvest some every few days and let it grow back.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have tons of the stuff and could send you a starter batch for the cost of postage, but TBH it doesn't really post that well I don't think, any more than next day and it tends to go rather smelly and mushy! If you can find some from a local pond it'll be fresher and more likely to survive, and a lot cheaper.

You know you can't just dump it in with the turts? Well you can but they'll probably eat it all and then you'll have none again, you need to put it in an outdoor tub to multiply, then you can harvest some every few days and let it grow back.
Thanks, will see if I can find some first. Will musks eat it?

·
Registered
355 Posts
no matter what plants I put in with ANY of my turts (Snapper, Chinese softshell and Northern Diamondbacks) its gone within a day. Just when things look nice and theres some decent cover is when they choose to strike and destroy/eat everything. Little Sods!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts