Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Ive not posted any photos for ages so I took these while I was giving them their weekly clean last night. Sorry the pics arnt that brilliant but they kept running away mid-shot :lol: These are the only 2 that hatched from my 100 eggs that i bought on ebay. Theri about 6 months old now so hopefully they might start giving birth to their own eggs soon :D

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I used to have some of these! My friend gave me a whole tub of eggs, and they ALL hatched....They ended up everywhere...As they were so small the escaped out of their tanks and I kept finding them on the ceiling in the kitchen! They were fun though :lol: :lol:

Meep Meep Meep

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Used to keep these too, soon got bored of them though and bought allsorts of crazy different species :lol:
I got hundreds of eggs out of mine but daren't try and hatch them because i definately wasnt keeping them all!

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol I dont know what i would have done if all 100 had hatched. If they do lay eggs in the future i will keep a few to hatch and the rest can be fed to the goldfish :lol: I still have the rest of the ebay eggs in a small tub. I was going to throw them out but iread somewhere they can take up to 1 year to hatch. I wont hold my breath though seeing as its been ages since these ones hatched.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i used to have some of these,there the indian stick insects arent they.mine had loads of eggs and when the adults died i took the cage down and put it in my wardrobe and a year later i was finding them on the walls and ceilings and everywhere else,i used to have the pink winged ones aswell but they scared me lol.has anyone got praying mantids on here?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Nice

Not sure why the others didn't hatch, but as another said they can take a while. Also they may of experienced extreme temps in transit or something.

I wouldn't worry. I used to have 4 and after 2 years I had about 400. Not exaggerating either.

They were all over the place and would eat each other and all the leafs in their viv in about 2 days. They were like locusts.

From what I remember they don't actually have to mate every year. I'm sure they store sperm or something and lay pre-fertilised eggs. I may be wrong though.

My solution to the numbers was to buy some lizards. I got 2 Green Anoles and they helped me keep the numbers down trremendously.

I was only 14 at the time so not sure if that was clever of not. I did give my lizaeds a mixed diet though. Not just stick insects.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats why I originally bought the eggs. I was going to hatch them out and feed them to the lizards has treats. I got too attached to the two that hatched though so they ended up has pets. Once they start laying eggs and the eggs start hatching I wont hestitate to feed the younger ones to the lizards for treats. I will probably keep a few for pets too :lol:

littlelinnnies Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:16 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awww wow didn't know you owned these!
You will be surprised what you can find walking about im my house theres always the odd escaped beetle looking out from under the settee :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
tombraider said:
Thats why I originally bought the eggs. I was going to hatch them out and feed them to the lizards has treats. I got too attached to the two that hatched though so they ended up has pets. Once they start laying eggs and the eggs start hatching I wont hestitate to feed the younger ones to the lizards for treats. I will probably keep a few for pets too :lol:

littlelinnnies Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:16 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awww wow didn't know you owned these!
You will be surprised what you can find walking about im my house theres always the odd escaped beetle looking out from under the settee :shock: :lol:

lmao! bet there is you must be runnning out of room now! :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I love stick insects, not delt with them for a while now, we could never keep up in colege they used to breed so much lol i read a while back that its illegal to free them in the wild, is this true ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts