Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Sid for about a year now from a friend. He's about 12 years old at the moment with a shell span of about 10inches. Still a juvenile. He's shedding at the moment so I expect him to be moody and as predicted he's refused to eat which is apparently normal for him for a few weeks. I first noticed a clear pussy discharge coming from his mouth which clung around his mouth like strings. He also looked a bit gunky around the eyes. I gave him a good clean in and around his mouth (ha) and this problem seems to have stopped for now. BUT, I noticed that the end of his nose has become soft and squishy like as if it was made out of flesh rather than the hard shell like material it's always been. I've been told it could just be a fungal infection either in the water or in Sid himself which should clear up in a couple of weeks with daily water changing and regular filter cleaning to keep the water sparkling. I'm still so worried about him and worried that I wouldn't be able to afford the vet bill for him if he needs serious medical attention.

Any advice from anyone would be a great help!

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
I would suggest taking him to a good reptile vet who knows about turtles. The sooner you act the easier it will be to treat and clear up. Water changes and filter cleaning will probably not be enough if he has an infection which needs "knocking on the head". If the inside of his mouth is infected he will not want to eat.

Whereabouts in the UK are you so that perhaps we can help in recommending a vet?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Agree must see a vet where are you in the Uk? Sounds like mouth rot as a starter but the earlier you treat the better for teh animal and your wallet.

Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Nottingham, I've been recommended a vet in Hucknall but I don't know if it's the best. If it is mouth rot, does anyone know how much I'm going to be looking at to clear it up with a vet? Times are a bit harsh at the moment!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.