Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi as said heres piccies of my viv so far....

damaged tank 48"x30"x20" (30" height)

2"x1,1/2"

frame

avail materials

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
test of tank

any question advice comments welcome

at the moment i can have the fountain if suitable with a water fall but i dunno if the water comin threw for the water fall would be to strong or i could have the bell and lower the water fall pipe (need to less pressure) and have a small water fall and like a little creek running threw substrate. i might go for the bell tbh.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hi m8 looks good but I dont think whites will do to well in that I could be wrong but i would not put mine in that tank to much water for my liking.

All so m8 the sealant is the wrong one I think You need to use a Fish tank sealant or a sealant that hase no harmful chemicles. Againe I could be wrong but againe I would not use it I all ways use Fish tank sealant.

PS not trying to put it down or anything m8 its crack I just wonted to let you know

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
hi cheers the water is only that height to fit an internal filter in false bottom i will be filling it with gravel at the fountain end the water could be 2" if i wish :). i still havent decide on species tbh once its complet i will take a note of running temps and humidity and then ask what is most suitable.

·
Registered
789 Posts
A ok then that would be ok but still have to add some bits for them to grab on to if needed put some Jungle vine in there that would sort that out

PS i like the bell

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
thats cool bud it looks awesome ye ide lift the pump a bit for effect mainly,,and sorry to say that the sealer is a big no no it gives off toxics in to the water,go to a good marine shop and you can buy marine silicone at about 7 quid a tube and it safe on the little ones,,im building one at the mo it for 2 iggs and its huuuugggggeeeee and i love it :flrt::lol2:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Hi m8 looks good but I dont think whites will do to well in that I could be wrong but i would not put mine in that tank to much water for my liking.
they will be ok in water that they can touch the bottom in with there head still out the water whilst sitting down. i would go no deeper than 2 inches with an adult whites.

[/QUOTE]All so m8 the sealant is the wrong one I think You need to use a Fish tank sealant or a sealant that hase no harmful chemicles. Againe I could be wrong but againe I would not use it I all ways use Fish tank sealant.[/QUOTE]

yes the sealant is wrong, it will leach into the water and posion the frogs. you should only use aquatic sealant which is avaliable from all good pet stores, or ebay.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks for replies :). yup the sealant is crap the water is contaminated today and they were left 36 hours to dry(tats what appens when ye try do things on the cheap). :(. anyone any ideas how to remove it or should i just go totally over it with aquarium sealant. im guessin attack it wi a stanly blade then reseal with a bigger bead if theres a better way lemme know.

LW "thats cool bud it looks awesome ye ide lift the pump a bit for effect mainly" would that be for use with the bell??? think will i had taken initial measurements for the fountain but reckon im gona go with the bell so maybe raise it and move it right a bit.......i will be filling the pump side (to the top of the angled piece)and the front back n right side of the false bottom with pebbles(up to the top of fb) then i will put a layer of clay pebbles on top of the fb then the substraight will fill up to the top of the angled piece of perspex due think this will work????

thanks again. :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
yep stanley blad and elbow grease is what you need mate. try and remove all of it to e safe. putting a bigger bead would not do any harm either. use a reptile safe dissinfectant to clean the surface. F10 is the best but most reptile shops do a decent enough one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks toad :). ok got myself some cpx33 silicone for aquariums just wondering the disinfectant does it dilute in water as i will need run it threw filter and pump if not can i use the anti disease and melafix for aquariums????

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
i suggested using disinfectant to make sure the glass is clean before starting again.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's for anythin that the temps humidity suite and even if whites it prob only be 3 or 4 at most still gona be far less space than they get in the wild. mind also the substrate(ground level) gona be at least a foot above the bottom of the tank. I'm in no way against smaller setups btw as long as the frogs have basic need and are comfortable just happened to be a spare tank and im positive some of the smaller ones will prob feel more homely than my end result :).

the glass should be an easy enough clean just need somethin to run threw filter and pump as they were runnin in the contaminated water all night.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hi and thanks for input so far after advice i have stripped all the old sealer off and resealed with aquarium silicon her is my farther progress......

resealed false bottom

weed guard

syphon access so i can do a water change from the front of the tank

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

bell from above

decided against a waterfall and im goin for a stream this is the frame

full base of viv testrun

as usual any input thoughts advice are welcome :2thumb:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts