Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i have got 2 baby beardies as u well no and they dont seam to be eating the crikets am i just being skitzy or is it common?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i only had them 2 days and they are 4weeks old
i give them locust on the first day coz the pet shop didnt have no small crix but they said that small locust would be fine and they really enjoyed them but they dont seam to like the crickets though!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
It more than likely is relocation stress

·
Registered
27 Posts
4weeks old??????? thats not a great age to buy babies, people usually sell/buy at 6-8 weeks. (sorry no offence but i hate it when breeders sell too young imo)

But besides that just give them time to settle in, they have been moved about and are in new surroundings. What size viv have you got them in? and are your temps etc right?

Thx,
Cel

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
If i were you don't handle them for a week, theyre young and probably nervous of their new surroundings.Keep offering food and if they don't eat it remove it from the viv.

What are the temperatures in the viv? basking temp and cool side?
What size viv are they in ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi thanks for that :blush:
there in a 3x2x2 and the temp is 95 hot 80 cool and they were eating fine with the locust but not the crix fussy buggers just like kids lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sometimes none feeding is also caused by the viv being too big and/or the the temps being wrong. Maybe your viv is a little too big and the basking temp should be between 100 and 110 degree's F. Cool side about 85 too.

Hope i didnt offend you, it's just naughty of the shop thats all,

Thx,
Cel x

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no dont be silly i dont get offended lol
:flrt:
do u think that they are just being fussy coz of the fact i gave them locust for there 1st feed?
is the temputer ok?

·
Registered
27 Posts
if push comes to shove just give them locusts and small pieces of veg/salad until the poor wee things build themselves up <again not your fault naughty shop> see my last post for temps etc thx

Thx,
Cel x

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Get the temp a little higher and personally id try and partition the viv so its about 2ft, they may feel insecure being in an enviroment thats so much bigger than they are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
did you say you have 2?

Did the shop sex them for you? it is hard to sex them at that age, although it can be done, as if you end up having 2 males then they can't be housed together.

thx cel x

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Yeah as said, i'd up the temps a bit and keep offering food, leave a dish of veg in the viv for them and see how they go. It may jus be the stress of being moved.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok ill sort the temp.
the breeder said u cant really sex them at this age so i will have to wait untill about 4 months (is that right) untill they can be sexed? but my hubby is gonna build a new viv anyway so if we end up with 2 males we can seperate.
btw whats the arm waving all about? anyone no?:flrt:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I think the arm waving is them being submissive...mine has only ever done it a few times. and that was at his crickets !

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Well mine is kept alone and is male, and he has occasionally arm waved and now he's gettin older he head bops at the most random things lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i hope that i have got 2 female or 1 male and 1 female so i can kep them 2geva as i think it would be nice for them 2 be togeva but if they turn out to be 2 males i no that thay cant stay 2 geva but we will have to wait and c xx

·
Registered
569 Posts
Arm waving is submissive, and is normally done by an adult female. However, when they are young both sexes arm wave - apparently it says 'I'm a bearded dragon' and hopefully stops bigger ones chasing them Used to make me laugh when they did it when they were chasing crickets - never fathomed out why (except it gave the crickets time to escape). I mean, what's the point of telling crix your a beardie about to eat them?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts