Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: About two hours ago my baby amel died :cry:, he hasnt eaten or drunk anything since i have had him. I had been in contact with the shop owner about the corn not feeding or drinking and he told me what too do, so i did what i was told but still nothing. I handled him earlier today and he seemed a bit slugish and didnt try to explore as he usually does :( .

After he passed i have taken him to the shop, Chris the owner said he cant see anything wrong with him he said i could have another hatchling corn, i picked out a larger corn hatchling as i thought it may eat better than the other.

I didnt think i could get so attached to the little guy.........How wrong was I.

I hope it wasnt my fault he died at that age :( , i already feel bad about it, he had such a character :)

Sorry i have dragged on......i just cannot express my true emotions :cry:

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Aaaaaaw so sorry to hear about yor loss..
RI.P little one

Just out of interest what sort of housing were you keeping him in, wat temps etc??
Nat xx

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Really sorry to hear your news,we do get attached to them and it is heartbreaking when our reps die,even if it is through old age.
Hope your new snake does a lot better n grows big n healthy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nat said:
Just out of interest what sort of housing were you keeping him in, wat temps etc??
The temps where at a constant 81 degrees f at the hot end and 75 at the cooler end, he is in a faunarium at the moment but im going to get a proper viv in a week or so, he has two hides one at each end, the water bowl is at the cooler end and he is on bark chippings, they are a very dark brown.

Hope that helps. Please tell me if i am doing anything wrong.

thanks.....tomgriffin

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
sorry to hear that :( , post mortem sounds like a good idea, especially as you cant see anything wrong with him.
R.I.P. little corn.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(

Anyway, no problem with keeping a hatchling corn in a faunarium - it'll be more likely to settle and feed properly, be less likely to escape and be less stressed, than if it was in a proper viv.

81F isn't dangerously low but is a bit too cool for the warm end I reckon. I keep my hatchlings with temps of around 86F at the warm end, with the cool end just following room temp.

Assuming you're using a heat mat - make sure you don't have too much of the mat under the faunarium - about 3"- 4" is fine. That'll give the snake enough of a warm area if it needs it and plenty of space to find a cool area when it wants to.

Hopefully you're using a thermostat?
Have the stat probe taped to the mats surface (so outside the faunarium) right next to the base of the faunarium so as to shield it a bit from draughts.

The best substrate for hatchlings is kitchen towel - you can feed on it safely and it's easy to clean - just replace it all when necessary.

The dark brown bark chippings are best used for species that require higher humidity - for older corns, beech chip (white wood chip), aspen, hemp or newspaper would be best.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
sorry to hear of your loss hun dont beat your self up about it as it sounds as if you did everything you could R.I.P :halo: wee snakey

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about that - I go there too and know Chris well - knowing him he'll have been pretty upset about it too - he's a really good snake guy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Razaiel said:
I'm so sorry to hear about that - I go there too and know Chris well - knowing him he'll have been pretty upset about it too - he's a really good snake guy.
Yeah he is a good guy and he absolutely loves snakes. :)

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, I would be devastated! Good luck with your new one.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
snake passed

Awww! so sorry to hear of your loss, i agree with bbsf about not beating youself up about it, it`s heartbreaking enough losing one without that seeing as how ya did all ya could :( :(

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Sorry for your loss. *big hug*

I had this experience, and the shop in question promised me a new one once they hatched. I have learned the hard way not to take from pet shops any snakes younger than 6 months. It takes that long to ensure that they are healthy, feeding and shedding ok. Complain to the pet shop, they should not have sold such a young snake to you, as the survival rate isn't great when you buy from larger suppliers. Transportation etc lead to stressed out babies that should be giver R&R time before being moved again.

Dont feel bad, there was nothing you could have done.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
beestingbutterfly said:
are you going to get a post mortem done? it may shed some light on the whole situation?
take it back to the shop and have them do the PM. it is a costly business, and the pet shop is accountable. they should not have sold such a young snake.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
sorry to hear that mate :cry:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My new anery has tried to escape loads of times and as a tester i dropped a thawed pinkie into the faunarium and he struck and wrapped himself around it and began to eat it :eek:

Twiggy my anery is a lot more active than my amel, he is always watching what i am doing. now he has taken the pinkie i am going to leave him for 2 days to digest his food. :)

I know i shouldnt have fed him till about 3 days after i collected him but he was striking at the wall of the faunarium when i walked past and i thought that this may have been due to him needing a feed.

Twiggy is larger than my amel and he seems a lot more relaxed in the faunarium.

If ou think i have fed him too early please tell me, as i dont want to loose another corn :cry:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts