Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my baby hermann is blowing bubbles from her nose and making strange breathing noises do I need to take her to a vet she is only 3 months old. I soaked both of my babies every day in warm water I give them calcium and veg and tortoise pellets the heat is roughly 32c. They are always in the hot end never go in the cool end I don't no what I'm doing wrong they are in a table not a viv, they have soil one end and grass pellets the other ( which I'm changing at the weekend putting soil and grass in) can any one help please?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Hi my baby hermann is blowing bubbles from her nose and making strange breathing noises do I need to take her to a vet she is only 3 months old. I soaked both of my babies every day in warm water I give them calcium and veg and tortoise pellets the heat is roughly 32c. They are always in the hot end never go in the cool end I don't no what I'm doing wrong they are in a table not a viv, they have soil one end and grass pellets the other ( which I'm changing at the weekend putting soil and grass in) can any one help please?
Yes, it sounds like your tortoise has an upper respiratory tract infection and will need to see a reptile vet (it's important you don't go a normal cat/dog vet) to be started on a course of antibiotics. Remember to keep the heat up while treating 24/7.

You also need to look at the care you are providing.

Loose the veg from the diet, fresh plants and weeds should make up the majority of the diet. You must supplement with a good multivitamin like Nutrobal or Nekton MSA.

Stick with plain soil, get rid of the grass pellets.

What are you using for UVB?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yes, it sounds like your tortoise has an upper respiratory tract infection and will need to see a reptile vet (it's important you don't go a normal cat/dog vet) to be started on a course of antibiotics. Remember to keep the heat up while treating 24/7.

You also need to look at the care you are providing.

Loose the veg from the diet, fresh plants and weeds should make up the majority of the diet. You must supplement with a good multivitamin like Nutrobal or Nekton MSA.

Stick with plain soil, get rid of the grass pellets.

What are you using for UVB?
I agree with Ross, ditch the veg, and stick to weeds and flowers. If they do have an upper respiratory infection, try upping the temps a little, and try and keep them a little warmer at night.

Just a thought, is she blowing bubbles after a bath?
As sometimes they do retain water in their nares, and appear to blow bubbles. But if its most of the time, then the vet is vital.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts