Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got donated a baby hognose and shes a beaut! she really is fabulous! she was born on 9th august and has really gorg markings. il post some pics when i find my bloody camera!
has anyone had any problems with hognoses? mite i be best havin some sort of adrenaline or epipen about just incase? i have seen some photos of a bite which look a wee bit nasty!lol

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Do NOT EVER use an epi pen unless you have a diagnosed condition and have been advised by a doctor to do so. They are very dangerous if you are not going into anaphalaxic shock!

Western hognoses are not dangerous in the least unless you have an allergic reaction to their saliva (for the record you are as likely to react badly to a garter snake bite as a western bite!)
There is one bad picture going round the net of a western bite where the guys hand swelled up, however this man let the snake purposefully chew on him for a good length of time!

Hogs lack an effective invenomation system, they do not have hollow fangs with which to "inject" their toxic saliva and the saliva itself is not very potent. I have been bitten by larger, more venomous members of the hognose family to no ill effect, so a little western bite is not going to harm you.

The likelihood of your little hog biting you is also very slim, they are bluffers and will musk, death feign, hood up and headbutt you rather than take a bite!

Enjoy your hoggy and please dont worry about being hurt by her :D

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol great thanks for the advice. was just a good friend of mine had advised me about it so i thought i would find out she is fabulous and a little monster she took down her first pinkie with me last nite iv never seen any of my lot enjoyin their dinner as much!lol feel like a proud mum!
thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Aaww great stuff! They can be real piggies, but dont panic if she refuses every now and then, theyre quick fickle at times too!
I know a lot of venomous keepers have epi pens just in case but I think with a hog you are wasting your money and as I said if used in error they are quite dangerous.
Congrats on your new baby :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Congratulations on your baby hoggie. I am sure you will love her like all your other pets and owls too. Hoggies are the best snake ever but thats my opinion. Cherish her. xxxxx :D Have you thought of a name for her?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby! that's ace!
Out of interest, I get anaphylactic shock when stung to bee and wasps, Do you think it's very likely I'd react to a hoggy's saliva?
I made a post a few months ago about an article I found on ratsnakes and other common snakes having a certain amount of venom, just not being able to administer it through not having the correct teeefies!
And would an epi pen help with venemous snake bites?? If so....I'm sorted! I carry 2 with me at all times! even winter! :lol:

·
Registered
301 Posts
congrats on your new snake :D they are lovely,we've just got an adult one today :D

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah ha ha ha ur ok phil i think il manage! she hasnt got a name yet stil thinkin. me and andy are headin to salou for a week on saturday and im so upset i cant take her with me!!!but mummys gonna look after her!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Mrs P an epi pen would be useful if you went into anaphylaxis after the snake bite - not very likely in everyday life though! As for if you are more likely to react, it is often said that if you suffer adverse reactions from bee and wasp stings you may react to hog bites BUT there is zero scientific reasoning to say you would.

Bees and wasps produce entirely different proteins to hognose snakes, so they shouldnt really be an increased risk to you. If anything happens though dont blame me :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.