Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My youngest BD wont eat insects if they've been dusted with nutrabal

She used to but has recently stopped eating as much.

Today i gave her an un-dusted cricket and she went mental for it so I gave her some more

after this success I tried an experiment, for every one dusted cricket i put in I put an un-dusted one as well.
At the end of the feeding I had about 4-5 dusted crix that she wouldn't eat and no un-dusted ones

What do I do if she wont take dusted crix?
how do I get the calcium/vits into her?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Mine rarely take crix that are just running about and will only take them as i pour them in from the pot i use, they seem to recognise it as where food comes from,,not much help i know. If they eat greens, try adding nutrobal to that.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never even though of dusting the veg,:bash: she eats it too

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
have you tried using diiferent vitamins as some have a very strong smell to them :)

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
you can always feed the crix the supplement so its inside the crix when the BD eats them, just like gutloading

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
or you could mix some vitamins and calcium with wayer so it makes a thickish paste and inject it into the crix and locusts ? (would that work?) :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use nutrabal and always have but it has got a strong smell, also used ground cuttle fish bone too.

I'm going to try dusting the veg and see if she eats that.

When dusting I put about 10-15 crix in a pot and use the small end of a medicine spoon to put a small amount of dust in the pot, give it a shake and then use tweezers to feed them so they don't have loads of dust on them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
or you could mix some vitamins and calcium with wayer so it makes a thickish paste and inject it into the crix and locusts ? (would that work?) :D
I was going to suggest this. find a friendly chemist and ask for microfine needle and syringe combi, as long as he see's your not a junkie, most will let you have one. you want a 30g size. they are great for getting antibiotics into pinkies etc when needed too.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Good idea unless the beardie associates the bad taste with crix then wont eat them at all, worth a try though ..

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
i use yellow tongs, all my reps go mad as soon as they see them, they'll eat anything from em they even try eating the tongs lol

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good idea unless the beardie associates the bad taste with crix then wont eat them at all, worth a try though ..
I don't think she does because she'll still eat crix without dust on them.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My Bd's wont eat dusted crix either so I sprinkle it on their greens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts