Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got mty self a beardie yesterday he is about 4 months old and he is in a 4x2x2 viv. yesterday he had a few crickets but this morning he wont eat and shock his head till he threw up, any ideas?

i use a thermostatically controlled ceramic heat along with a engery saving bulb at his basking site which is at 90 degrees.
the uvb buld i bought smashed in the post but should be here 2moro morning(reptiglo 10.0)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
maybe crank up the thermostat mate, im sure beardies like it abit hotter than that. sure its 105 in the basking spot iirc. sure someone will correct me tho.

has he eaten since?

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
might not be used to a decent meal...feed him tiny food items . beardies should be fed small stuff anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could be, but they did feed him at the pet shop to show me he was healthy, seemed okay then. He doesn't seem lethargic now so that's a good sign I suppose. Could UV be the promblem?

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
small bugs..seemingly too small...like emmys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure what u mean but the food he has at the mo is the same they used(samll brown crickets)

·
Registered
336 Posts
The surface temp of the basking spot for a 4 month is best at 110 F to 120 F. Do you have a digital thermometer with a probe or a temp gun as they’re the most accurate?
The crickets should be no bigger than the space between the beardies eyes and dusted with pure calcium everyday and a vit+d3 supplement (like Nutrobal) 1-2 times a week. I would also wait until your UVB tube is set up and temps are higher before you feed him again. It will also give him a chance to settle in a bit. When you do feed him at first you could try giving him small amounts regularly beacause like Habu said, he might not be used to a good meal. Good luck and i hope all works out well :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
sorry forgot to ask. How are you giving him water and are you gut loading his crickets before you feed them to him?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeh i have a digital thermo with probe the basking site is now 109-110 ans yes i do dust the crickets with calcium and have got nutrobal but havent used it yet.
he gets water form a waterfall and he had a drink from a dropper pipette yesterday, seemed to work well
oh and yeh i gut load the crickets with cricket grub.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'll get a hygrometer on monday and test it cuz he does like the waterfall and wont drink from still water. what should the humidity be?

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
a waterfall will make humidity too high for him, the humidity should be as close to zero as possible....mine never drinks from a bowl so he doesn`t have one...he gets his moisture from the livefood and the veggies. i also bath him for 20 min in shallow luke warm water once a week...i`m sure now your temps are higher he will soon pick up, what veg are you offering?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i offer him chopped green salad dusty will a bit of calcium powder he doesnt seem to be interested in greens tho, i guess ill turn the waterfall off he likes to climb it so ill leave it in there as decor.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
again...it's winter. notice how many probs with feeding this time of year? short days plus warm temps confuse things. a new arrival has even more to deal with. keep it on 14/10 and tiny offerings till it settles. just some advice. it should turn around in a week

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks everyone for the advice,there;s only so much u can get from books, been really helpful and hopefully he'll/she'll pick up soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
any tips on geting him into greens would be much appreciated, at the moment i just have a lack luster bag of tesco green leaf salad lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts