Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I thought I'd post a rolling thread on a viv I've started to build for my Bosc, Billy.

This was his second viv (original was a 3x2x2 - I haven't got any pics of this) this one was 4x2.5x2.5...(bottom viv)

This is the inside....

I admit this wasn't the nicest of vivs to look at from the outiside but suited his needs - so I decided to re-vamp the outside so it looked nicer..as it was in my living room...

But anyway as previously mentioned in other threads he eats like food is going out of fashion and growing at a hell of a rate so hence the new latest viv....hopefully his viv for life...

Started with a design...(copied some ideas from ppl on here)...

Then today finally started...the size is 6x3x3 made from exterior plywood coated with a plastic laminate...its new apparently and fairly cheap - for all the wood needed and LOADS of off cuts it was £180.00 and will only need the joints sealing with silicone which will save soooo much time!!

Anyways here is what we've done so far...

There is a loooong way to go but I'll keep this thread as up to date as I can :2thumb:

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Get yourself over to m&t thread matey youll fit right in.

That first viv is a corker of a monitor viv mate :no1:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 2....

Well day 2.... didn't accomplish much today had to go out this morning and it took longer than first thought due to the snow!!:whistling2:

Fitted up one side door at the front....and went to B&Q for more materials...another £70.00 spent!!:gasp:

With door closed and locked...

And with door open...

I will keep it updated but won't post anymore until next saturday...

Very pleased with it so far but there is sooo much to do as it's just soo vast and needs to be a major feature in my living room as it's bigger than my bloody sofa!!

Cheers for all the comments so far guys!!:no1:

Reactions: Dee_Williams

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Small update....

Just a small update today... will hopefully do more tommorro on the inside of the viv....

Now completed other door so it matches!
Doors closed...

Doors open...

Will upload more when I do more lol...

Anyone got any tips as to how to heat this beast?
:2thumb::2thumb::2thumb:

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Tube heaters are your friend... cheap to run and give heat right across the enclosure id go with a 5 footer for that beast :2thumb:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok nice one I was wondering about tube heaters but wasn't sure on what size how many etc etc...

Do they run off of a normal pulse stat?

Also where is a good (cheap) place to buy them?

Thanks.: victory:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sunday update...

OK here's the update for today.... fitted the shelf...that is about it!! Everything takes longer than I anticipate!!

Apologies for the poor pics (taken on Iphone)

I'll update when I've done more!: victory:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Looks really good m8 :2thumb:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update!

Hi guys bit more of an update for you!!

Put in the ramp for the second level, added vents and also added 1x light (gonna need many more - sooo dark in there!!) Also started on the covering for the outside, as with his previous viv I am covering it in a leatherette material that matches my sofa as this is the biggest piece of furniture in the living room it has to look the part!!

Pics below....

Let me know what you all think!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPdate

Hi guys another quick update.

The exterior of the viv now completely covered and finished, now going to silicone the interior joints and varnish the spindles and deck board ramp..

Then need to work to electrics and decide how I'm gonna heat this bad boy, someone had suggested tube heaters - where is a good place (cheap) to buy? also with regard to hotspots should I just go with standard ceramic bulb holders and 100w bulbs? Was thinking of 2 hotspots and obv tube heaters for background temps...?? Any thoughts would be a help!!

As for lighting..any ideas for this too? at the moment I have a spare 48" UV bulb on a standard starter...should I go for LED's? because if I go for normal tube lights as above I'll need at least another 2 with reflectors as it is pretty dark in there!!

LEt me know your thoughts....ideas....
Here are the pics of progress so far....

: victory:: victory:: victory:

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
Needs some hot spots under the top shelf, a bulb will then illuminate the bottom.

If you dont want heat then some low wattage energy bulbs instead.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update

Haven't done much lately as its been crazy busy at work but here are some pics of what I have got done...

One of the lucky chap who'll be living here soon!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another update

Hi guys here's the latest update for you...

Have now fitted most of the electrics:

2x strip lights 4ft
1x 5ft tubular heater and guard, on a pulse stat
5x ceramic bulb holders for a choice of basking sites...

I have purchased 3x halogen basking bulbs 1x 100w, and 2x 75w... Do you guys with monitors run these on dimmer stats? I never used to run his old 100w normal bulb on a stat and achieved correct temps just using distance, however these halogen bulbs are much hotter!! Ground temps of 65'c! So I'm thinking these are going to have to be statted...

Also have added bamboo screening on the sides (yet to be stapled in) and started adding substrate... Now it looks like a viv... Oh and added 6mm laminated glass doors and runners!

It has cost a fortune and has been a lot of hard work so far, couldn't have done it without my other half:notworthy:

Here are the pictures...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Looks pretty good! Where did you get the glass from? And what kind of glass is it? can you get uv emmitting leds?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glass was from local glaziers, and is 6mm laminated cost £30 quid all in..

Not sure on led's I've used 3x tube lights 4ft in length one is 10% uv and others are standard lights no uv..

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi guys here's the latest update for you...

Have now fitted most of the electrics:

2x strip lights 4ft
1x 5ft tubular heater and guard, on a pulse stat
5x ceramic bulb holders for a choice of basking sites...

I have purchased 3x halogen basking bulbs 1x 100w, and 2x 75w... Do you guys with monitors run these on dimmer stats? I never used to run his old 100w normal bulb on a stat and achieved correct temps just using distance, however these halogen bulbs are much hotter!! Ground temps of 65'c! So I'm thinking these are going to have to be statted...

Also have added bamboo screening on the sides (yet to be stapled in) and started adding substrate... Now it looks like a viv... Oh and added 6mm laminated glass doors and runners!

It has cost a fortune and has been a lot of hard work so far, couldn't have done it without my other half:notworthy:

Here are the pictures...

looking good :2thumb: it wont stay neat and tidy like that for long once the little fella is in :lol2:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts