Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that it was most likely, totally unintentional for her to do this, BUT! I really didn't know how to handle the situation.

Every Sunday night I feed my Red Tail Boa. I feed frozen food, and she generally doesn't even strike. She just kind of bites and swallows her food. Tonight though, she struck violently, opposed to just eating because I had to taunt her with her food due to her just not paying any attention to it. As she was getting the mouse situated in her mouth she hooked on to her own midsection. And I mean was pulling her skin away from herself. Needless to say I got her to let go of herself by using my forceps to lift her mouth upwards away from her mid area without causing her to drop the mouse. I let her finish eating and then checked her out. There was no bleeding what so ever, I imagine that means she will be fine? And how do I keep this from happening again? What should I really do if it does happen again?

She has been getting a little aggressive lately with feeding and I have no idea why!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My BCI did the same thing I eased his mouth away and got out of there quick when he released. He didn't feed for a couple of weeks but then he was ok.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would imagine its a 1 off mistake on her part. If shes getting more aggressive at feeding time then maybee shes just getting a bit more hungry as she grows and may need bigger pray to keep her going for the week. A dunk in cold water usually gets them to release their grip so if your still a bit concerned then just get a bowl of cold water ready next feeding time. Im assuming its a young boa so still geatting the hang of the whole striking eating game, ive had snake that seemed to struggle a few times, eating tail end or just loosing thier food ect. They all got it in the end though and feed fine now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whew! Glad to know shes not a 'special' snake.
My first Red tail I never had this problem. When me and my husband, who did not even want to be near her, got this snake she was very, very young. We've had her a little over a year, and I've never had this many feeding problems.
She likes to eat either from the middle of the mouse or the tail end. Which is why I'm afraid to give her bigger than fuzzys.
And now she has completed the act of latching on to herself.

Cold water huh?
Someone told me rubbing alcohol. But wouldn't that upset their respiratory system?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My BCI did the same thing I eased his mouth away and got out of there quick when he released. He didn't feed for a couple of weeks but then he was ok.
I've seen this happen a few times and it isn't normally too much bother. My old boa did it once, and my royal, and my king manages to attach himself to himself once or twice a week. He started to make an Ouroboros once, it scared the hell out of me (and made me giggle a bit).

I'm sorry and I don't mean to offend you or any thing but that first picture of your boa looks like he's committing the ultimate snake fail, and his face almost looks like he knows it.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
My old BRB did this once, frightened the life out of me - especially because he just kept flipping and rolling round like a mental thing in an effort to "kill" the prey - which was himself.... I can't remember how we got him to release in the end, I think we used a thin ruler or something similar to try and gently unhook him...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've seen this happen a few times and it isn't normally too much bother. My old boa did it once, and my royal, and my king manages to attach himself to himself once or twice a week. He started to make an Ouroboros once, it scared the hell out of me (and made me giggle a bit).

I'm sorry and I don't mean to offend you or any thing but that first picture of your boa looks like he's committing the ultimate snake fail, and his face almost looks like he knows it.

Yes as much as I love the old boy he's a bit of a nugget

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
They really are none too bright, aren't they?

Lyfjaganda the Aesculapian just opened her mouth farther (in proportion) than I've ever seen a snake open...trying to ingest her own coil *as well as* the mouse it was wrapped around. Silly cow. She figured out it wasn't going to fit after a very short time and moved to another angle of approach, though. But since she's probably disposed of a few hundred mousies in her lifetime - she's not that young of a snake - you'd think she'd have figured the process out by now.

I love snakes, but my gods can they be dim. I used to think my retic Vlad was some sort of special-education mentally-challenged snake, but other folks' stories are leading me to the conclusion that he might actually have been on the brighter side...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a cali king that has latched onto himself as well as my hand at times during feeding or cage cleaning time. I keep a spray bottle of cold water set to stream nearby. When he latches on and wont let go, a half dozen squirts right on the end of the nose usually does the trick. I have also used this on other snakes with good results.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I read somewhere that snakes cannot feel pain when in feeding mode. I'm sure it had something to do with them adapting over time so they couldn't feel live pray biting them whilst they die, so when they bite there self they probably can't feel it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My boas do this sometimes!! I just spray them with cold water they soon let go of themselves, realise theres a rat next to them, re strike then get confused then kind of sniff around then decide OK cool im gunna eat this thing. :whistling2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts