Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that it was most likely, totally unintentional for her to do this, BUT! I really didn't know how to handle the situation.

Every Sunday night I feed my Red Tail Boa. I feed frozen food, and she generally doesn't even strike. She just kind of bites and swallows her food. Tonight though, she struck violently, opposed to just eating because I had to taunt her with her food due to her just not paying any attention to it. As she was getting the mouse situated in her mouth she hooked on to her own midsection. And I mean was pulling her skin away from herself. Needless to say I got her to let go of herself by using my forceps to lift her mouth upwards away from her mid area without causing her to drop the mouse. I let her finish eating and then checked her out. There was no bleeding what so ever, I imagine that means she will be fine? And how do I keep this from happening again? What should I really do if it does happen again?

She has been getting a little aggressive lately with feeding and I have no idea why!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whew! Glad to know shes not a 'special' snake.
My first Red tail I never had this problem. When me and my husband, who did not even want to be near her, got this snake she was very, very young. We've had her a little over a year, and I've never had this many feeding problems.
She likes to eat either from the middle of the mouse or the tail end. Which is why I'm afraid to give her bigger than fuzzys.
And now she has completed the act of latching on to herself.

Cold water huh?
Someone told me rubbing alcohol. But wouldn't that upset their respiratory system?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.