Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people

I started making a viv about 4 weeks ago to house a baby bosc so I just thought Id post a few pics.

I still need to make a few hides which im currently doing, install the glass, add decoration and add a few bits and pieces but so far so good. Nothings fell apart anyway :lol2:
Let me know what you think and If you have any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
:2thumb:
Hi people

I started making a viv about 4 weeks ago to house a baby bosc so I just thought Id post a few pics.

I still need to make a few hides which im currently doing, install the glass, add decoration and add a few bits and pieces but so far so good. Nothings fell apart anyway :lol2:
Let me know what you think and If you have any suggestions.

Looks good mate like the idea of using a shower base very nice

·
Registered
121 Posts
ive seen post after post on here about havin a really deep substrate to burrow into i presume youve already seen these , looks like you have a nice area in which it could burrow down :)

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
Agree with Tommy, looks like MDF so it won't do well against humidity. Would need a lot of varnishing

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also will probably be wise to varnish this viv so it doesn't fall apart due to substrates and high humidity destroying the wood.
I actually got the 'sink' idea off another enclosure design on here, plus I had one lying around so i thought i might aswell use it to make it look better than just a bowl

Cheers. Yeah thats one thing I forgot to add, just ordered a few tins of varnish for when im ready anyway :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive seen post after post on here about havin a really deep substrate to burrow into i presume youve already seen these , looks like you have a nice area in which it could burrow down :)
Yep :lol2: Ive done a lot of research on the internet and the forums. It has around 1 and a half foot to burrow, i know its not 2 foot what some people suggest but its better than nothing I suppose

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I actually got the 'sink' idea off another enclosure design on here, plus I had one lying around so i thought i might aswell use it to make it look better than just a bowl

Cheers. Yeah thats one thing I forgot to add, just ordered a few tins of varnish for when im ready anyway :)

Looks good look forward to pics of it finished and your bosc when you get it.
Yeah would do about 6 coats of varnish with some yatch varnish i think would be best.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good look forward to pics of it finished and your bosc when you get it.
Yeah would do about 6 coats of varnish with some yatch varnish i think would be best.
Cheers mate.

Yeah thats what ive ordered anyway, same stuff which I used to coat my snakes vivs in

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nice layout, also I would block those vents up as you will need to keep all the heat and more importantly humidity. Can't wait to see this finished. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts

I have a vague memory that once the Bosc was in the water it was unable to get back out due to depth/being too cold and the owner found him in not to good a shape the following day.

It may not be the same one I am thinking about though... will go find the thread.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a vague memory that once the Bosc was in the water it was unable to get back out due to depth/being too cold and the owner found him in not to good a shape the following day.

It may not be the same one I am thinking about though... will go find the thread.
This is the one I am thinking of.. http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/habitat/880993-start-bosc-viv-build-pics.html

and here is the follow up post explaining what happened....

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/900106-word-advise-i-thought-id.html

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
there's something familiar about that viv.....

......just can't put my finger on it......
Like yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and technology

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

I'm sure the op will put a branch or slab/stone in to help the Bosc get out :p plus it's only bout 4inches deep. Bit of a prob for a baby but nowt else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and technology

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would get rid of the vets as they wont be good for high humidity and I would start building an adult enclosure as it looks small (It could be the angle of the camera) as a baby will outgrow it in a matter of months.

Also varnish the hell out of it and seal all the gaps with silicon, water will always find a way out as I found out on my nice laminate flooring lol

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
Guessing it's got a drainage pipe for the sink and the picture is of that.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
looking very good nice to see another keeper doing their best for these amazing lizards, get those vents blocked up else you will loose a lot of humidity and heat through them, you need to keep it all in there.

It was my bosc that got in the bath and then couldnt get out, i did have a log one end but he didnt/couldnt turn around, i rectified it now by having lined his bath with some cane roll that goes the whole length of his bath and up and over the sides, was just something i didnt reckon on, just make sure he can et out easy enough.

Reactions: dubs
1 - 20 of 20 Posts