Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi this is my bosc viv although he is only baby and never leaves his hide. what do you guys think ???

he has the heat lamp for basking and there are also heat mats in there aswell just under the sand

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if any one can make any sugestions on improving it for him that would be good wont him to have a healthy and happy life right from the start

·
Registered
399 Posts
get an actual viv for him if you can rather than an aquarium

other than that it looks real nice

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Arent boscs burrowers and come from quite humid regions? if there is one change i would recommend that would be remove the sand and go for a soil type substrate.

·
Registered
942 Posts
with a wooden traditional viv you will be able to maintain your temps better,glass looses heat id change the substrate aswell personally how long you had the little fellow

·
Registered
399 Posts
wood holds heat better and it means you can come in from infront and not surprise him from ontop, imagine lifting him out when he's 3 foot from over the glass.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very good point well ill shall go shopping for a nice large viv this week thank my forum frends what substraight do you think is best i read sand/soil is this right ??

·
Registered
535 Posts
it looks nice (Y)

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
Change the substrate as there will be very little humidity with sand.

The glass could scare him hence why he hides, or he is a typical young Bosc as that's what they do.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont think he is scared if i put my hand in he runs out his hide i think he thinks i have food i was gonna cover the sides and the back of the tank just have the front open i check my temps regularly and they seem fine iv been by the tank most of today and he has only been out for about 10mins in his hide fast asleep for the rest of today

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
Id go for a soil/sand substrate, its never let me down, just make sure the soil has no fertilizers or anything added to it.
Boscs can be shy so all glass tank will just scare him, wood is better all round and is alot easier having front access, also going in from above may scare your bosc (think someone else mentioned this).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Definatly get a wooden viv and as mentioned already sand/soil mix. I use plain top soil and play sand! It works a dream holds the humidity and they love it!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
very good point well ill shall go shopping for a nice large viv this week thank my forum frends what substraight do you think is best i read sand/soil is this right ??
eco earth (20%), topsoil (50%) and sand (30%) mixed together is probably your best bet, its what we use for ours. also you could add some leaf litter as they love to forage and gives them good exercise when hunting for their insects.

this is the best website around to show you how to give your bosc the best care possible http://savannahmonitor.org/

:2thumb:

·
Registered
399 Posts
i use standard top soil for now with nothing mixed, gonna get some play sand aswell as i've noticed it mentioned alot. Mine's tiny now so it works well for now cause it's sodt for his clumsy falls after climbimg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts