Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ent to vet coz kitty had a swelling on face. turned out to be an abcess in tooth. £37 for antibiotic and booked in for "at6 lest one extraction" and a scale and polish.

How much is an extraction gonna cost, and scale and polish?

price unimportant really, just need to kno whether to get a second job or not!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hiya,
It all depends on your vet really! I'm a vet nurse and dont think where I work would charge much more than £80-£90ish maybe less (dont usually deal with the bills)!! But saying that my surgery charges £28 to have a cat castrated and my friend paid £65 last week at a practice in Bristol.
dont know if that helps:lol2:
Tanya xx

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya,
It all depends on your vet really! I'm a vet nurse and dont think where I work would charge much more than £80-£90ish maybe less (dont usually deal with the bills)!! But saying that my surgery charges £28 to have a cat castrated and my friend paid £65 last week at a practice in Bristol.
Tanya xx
i am prepared for the £100 mark. just the "at least" bit that bothers me! still, he needs them out, and a good clean so there's not much i can do about it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
He'll be like a different cat when hes all sorted!!
Tanya xx

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
When my rabbit used to have his 2 rear teeth in the middle filed down, that used to be about £40 a time.... every 3 months itworked out quite costly! lol

Obviously you're having more done than that though... well, your cta, not you! lol

Emma xXx

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
poor little bugger is lying here sparked out on the tablets he been getting. very sooky, coz he not well. I just hope that it all goes smoothly. he never needed treatment before now. At least the swelling is going down a bit n ow, so the extraction(s) look like they will go ahead not the infection is clearing up.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
one of my cats had to have two teeth out as her jaw dislocated and he thought they had something to do wi it. canny mind what the bill was but it was lot less than 100. she is fine now.:snake: :snake:

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well my beastie is much better todat... the antibiotics hae kicked in. eating more but not drinking enough (imo). will let you guys know the damage to my purse on thurs evening!

Rona xx​

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
Hiya,
Tanya xx
thats cheap for castration. :snake: :snake:

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
well my beastie is much better todat... the antibiotics hae kicked in. eating more but not drinking enough (imo). will let you guys know the damage to my purse on thurs evening!​

Rona xx​
if its wet food she is eating she will get moisture from that. dont worry TOO much about her not drinking a lot.:snake: :snake:

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah its wet food...hasnt been able to eat crunchies for ages (months). I mean he loves them, and he can eat some, but not enought to live off...i think his mouth been sore for a while (on reflections), coz he used to eat crunchies like a daft thing!

Last night, he went off his food. after I put the meds in he stuck his nose up. musta figured out im drugging him an he on strike now!

Hopefully missing one tablet will not affect him too much. As of today, he is getting the tab down the hatchet directly, no more crushing in food.

no more "pussyfooting" :lol2: around him!! Sorry, that was lame!:oops:

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
thats the only way to do it wi cats. and its easy to do.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
wet food is not as good for animals teeth as dried food apparently, well thats what i got told anyway. its also bad for breath. maybe you should switch her to dry food once they are sorted so problems cant arise again if thats a possible cause. I've seen this with a dog an he got really bad teeth and cost a big vet bill and they got recommended to change to dry food. just guessing its the same with cats though.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wet food is not as good for animals teeth as dried food apparently, well thats what i got told anyway. its also bad for breath. maybe you should switch her to dry food once they are sorted so problems cant arise again if thats a possible cause. I've seen this with a dog an he got really bad teeth and cost a big vet bill and they got recommended to change to dry food. just guessing its the same with cats though.
He likes his crunchies usually, but wasn't managing them for a while, which i now know is due to toothache. I will definately attempt the dry food again once he is fully recovered. Never knew that wet food was bad for the teeth, cheeers for the heads up.

***UPDATE***

this morning Misty was booked into the vet for his extraction(s). Told Paul not to feed him anything (he did what he was told in that respect!), and i also told him not to let the cat out. I get up this morning once he went to college....HE LET THE CAT OUT :2wallbang: !!! He is such a doorkin sometimes!

Anyway, I found Misty scrounging on the neighbours doorstep, but she was out so he never got any food. Put him in the corrugated plastic carrier they provided last week (dunno where our wicker basket for him is).

I have to walk about half a mile to the vet, and yes, the little bugger escaped. He's well over 2 stone and the box was never suitable. Just saw the claws emerge from the corner, then the head, then saw his arse running off into the bushes :censor: .

He was so upset, I had to stop traffic on the road coz he was running around across the road, then back again and so on. So I carried him the rest of the way and discarded the box.

Have to phone at 2.30 to see how he is. How am I? SHREDDED! was meant to be trying on engagement rings today and on Saturday, now my hands look like they been in a mincer!

Still, he will have lurvely pearly whites after his op, as they are polishing them as well.

Will let you guys know how he is later, maybe get a few pics.

Thanks for all the advice :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How's the little monster doing now hun?

Hope he's feeling better!!!

Emma xXx

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How's the little monster doing now hun?

Hope he's feeling better!!!

Emma xXx
I did mean to update this, thanks for reminding me Emz!

Well he had 2 molar extractions and a scale and polish. The whole night after he was so high on whatever they had given him....sat like 1mm away from the fire (im sure he singed his whiskers).

Anyways, after a couple of days, he was like a different cat. makes me wonder how long he had been suffering before it flared into an abcess.

Still, at least he sorted now. The bill.... £97 :shock:

But it was worth it. Got my cuddly kitty back!

Thanks to all for reading

Skimp x

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
It might not be an amazingly popular opinion - not everyone thinks raw food is a good idea - but in order to keep cat teeth clean, you can always offer him RAW chicken wings with the bone still in.

I know, you're going to say "You can't feed chicken bones, they splinter!" Yes, cooked chicken bones do splinter because they go brittle. When they're raw, they don't. A cat can gnaw on them quite easily and will not only get the good of the meat off the bone, but will also wear any nastiness off their teeth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts