Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I'm new and I'm posting for advice as my cats who have access to an outdoor run have injured a slow worm. She has scratches on her body that look greyish and her tail is missing but I read online that they can shed them. She is pretty big about 13 inches without the end of her tail. I thought she was dead when I picked her up but she moved a little so I brought her inside and put her in a box with a hot water bottle as she seemed cold (I don't have a heat lamp/mat or anything as I don't keep reptiles). I made sure the box was big enough for her to move to or away from the hot water bottle.

She has perked up a little but still seems worse for wears. She has started to poke her tongue out. I read that females have a dark belly and she does. I put grass, soil, a stone, a shallow dish with water in it, and a rock in the box for her. I also caught a few worms which I think they eat.

I'd like to save her and when she is recovered release her. If I got small meal worms would she eat them or are things from the garden better?

Also I am no expert but I think she may be pregnant, her body looks kind of plump and then goes in like a tail if that makes any sense, rather than being a smooth taper all the way down the body.

I have no idea what I'm doing so any advice welcome. I'm actually a bit attached to her in the few hours she has been here so please help me make her better so she can go back outside.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
16,488 Posts
contact a vet they have a duty of care to help - lose the hot water bottle it wont need any extra heat - keep it somewhere dark and quiet and talk to a vet is my advice

·
Registered
766 Posts
Their natural diet is small slugs ,worms ect......they are easy to take care of,(i have lots in my back garden), they do drop their tails when being attacked and this will grow back, the scratches if cleaned should be ok.

good luck...................steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.
I live in the welsh hills so I'm about 30 miles from a vet. Do I need to do anything to clean the scratches, what can I use? They seem dry and not bloody etc. Ok I will remove the hot water bottle.

I will try to take a picture of her but I don't want to pester her too much.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Those scratches are not serious at all......if you know a place to release it where it has plenty of cover then that would be good.

If on the other hand you wanted to keep it, then a fishtank with 3 or 4 inches of potting compost and a few stones/pebbles along with some flat surfaces like slate or wood for it to hide under and a small water bowl will be perfect.

You can feed them on small worms and the small white slugs you find under damp logs ect.

As it is a lizard you will need to provide it with a heatlamp at one end to aid thermal regulation...

good luck buddy................steve

p.s. check this out.....http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizard-care-sheets/316264-slow-worm-care-sheet.html

·
Registered
768 Posts
Difficult one - on one hand, it'd be better if you cleaned out the scratches, and kept her on sterile bedding ( like paper towels ) till they start healing - on the other hand, the stress of being kept captive could worsen her situation, and could prove more dangerous than the injuries. You might find she won't eat.

If the cuts are dry and not bleeding anymore and not too serious, perhaps it'd be better for her, if you released her somewhere near where she was found ( minus the cats ). They are tougher than you think, and can heal well by themselves.

It's nice of you to care and try to help, but unless the injuries are really bad, she'll be better off free.

Re cleaning the cuts - maybe something like Vetadine or similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well I had a look to see if I had anything suitable and all I have cleaning wise are F10sc (says suitable for reptiles but not sure if it would be safe to use actually on her) and hibiscrub (again not sure of safety).

I'm thinking I may clean her up and then let her go if either of these sound suitable?

She is still moving very little and when she does very slowly, is this normal?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
this really belongs in the lizard section.
Does it really matter wilks when the welfare of an animal is at stake. The OP is getting some advice either way.

It doesn't look serious to me, but it's just a couple of pics and not close up, plus I'm not a vet. If I saw the animal in person and it didn't look too serious id release it.

If I thought it was worse than that, I'd contact a vetinarian or rescue centre. Maybe even the RSPCA. My cats attack birds every now and then and if I manage to stop them in time I get the local bird sancturay to pick them up. They nurse them back to health and then come back to mine to release (away from the cats).

·
Registered
33,151 Posts
Does it really matter wilks when the welfare of an animal is at stake. The OP is getting some advice either way.

It doesn't look serious to me, but it's just a couple of pics and not close up, plus I'm not a vet. If I saw the animal in person and it didn't look too serious id release it.

If I thought it was worse than that, I'd contact a vetinarian or rescue centre. Maybe even the RSPCA. My cats attack birds every now and then and if I manage to stop them in time I get the local bird sancturay to pick them up. They nurse them back to health and then come back to mine to release (away from the cats).
just thought people in the lizard section could give more advice, that's all- after all, a lot of them don't come in here.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
just thought people in the lizard section could give more advice, that's all- after all, a lot of them don't come in here.

If he decides to keep it then I'd say you're right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hadn't really considered keeping her, is that even allowed? I thought they were endangered? I'd hate to keep her and not do a good job as well and I don't have any experience.

For the record I'm female lol.

·
Premium Member
16,488 Posts
having seen the pics id say let it go

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My cats have done this, if shes moving and theres no deep scratches, release her under some bushes or somewhere dark and damp, I have loads in my garden, usually in my compost bin or in or below my planters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is it safe to handle her or would she become distressed? I could take better pictures if i picked her up/ moved her around a bit, but I wasnt sure if she would become upset. Sorry if these questions seem silly but I really don't have a clue.

she seems very lethargic and she did perk up when she had been near the hot water bottle for a bit (now been removed as advised in an earlier reply). When I found her she was cold and didn't move much at all and had been laying in the cattery which has a concrete floor and is shaded so was pretty cold, the cats have heat in the sheltered part and are deliberately away from sunlight as they are white cats and I don't like the risk of sun exposure. She still isn't moving much. Do they sleep? She is closing her eyes and staying still, I'm not sure if she is exhuasted, stressed or very unwell :(

We don't have a compost heap, our garden is very large though and backs on to woodlands (which is a climb as I'm in the hills here, think VERY rural).

·
Registered
63 Posts
the less handling the better as its a wild animal,personally i would say clean its wounds and set it free or call your local wildlife rescue,butgood on you for asking :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts