Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I put my hand in the tank to take out my male veiled chameleon he puffs himself up, opens his mouth really wide and hisses at me! I went to take him out just now and not only did he do his puffing and hissing but he head butted my hand! He got pissed at my husbands neice last night when she tried to take him out yet he is fine about my husband taking him out.

I'm the one that feeds him everyday but he really doesn't like me!

He seems to take a real dislike to females! Is this normal behaviour or is it only me that has a female hating cham?? :(

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Chams aren't the friendliest of animals, I've found panthers to be the friendliest in general but I've only ever found a couple that even let you get them out...
Ben

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
mine all come out but its 100 % on their terms, sometimes when i open the tank for maintainance they are straight up my arm, other times they just want their own space.....I respect that and I think they are far more friendly because of that :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Riiiiiiiiight. I didn't realise they were anti-social. He was always happy to come out and be handled when he was smaller it's only recently he started this. He had a hissy fit at my husband a little while ago.

So in future we shall wait til he asks to come out...

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
I dont really agree with handling chams at all. unless necessary.
I dont handle mine , they handle me. I would actually have to 'handle' them more to put them in when they make a bid for freedom :lol2:

The way I see it, if george Elvis or mildred is happy to use me as an extra tree then so be it.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
With chams it's all about the time you put in. Individuals will vary in temperament but the issue arises when people catagorise them as 'no touch' animals. As long as the touching is on their terms then they tame down well. I only have 2 feisty chams out of the 18 i own...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
its odd really because my FEMALE hates any men touching or going near her, but she's fine with a girl going near her.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
With chams it's all about the time you put in. Individuals will vary in temperament but the issue arises when people catagorise them as 'no touch' animals. As long as the touching is on their terms then they tame down well. I only have 2 feisty chams out of the 18 i own...

My young female would come right to the front of the viv and watch really intently, but as soon as she saw you watching her she would go very dark and cross, took about a month for her to actually cope with the fact that if she looked at us it was ok for us to look at her.....now she stays where she is when i open the viv, in fact she came out on to my arm for the first time a few days ago..I stayed where i was and she used me like a climbing frame for about half an hour.then pootled back home, she seems very confident now.

My opinion on all animals is its best if they can at least tollerate a minimum of handling, then when it comes to the day that they need to be handled, whether for vet treatment, cleaning out, moving vivs etc.it will be a far less stressful event than if they were totally left alone with no human contact.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
my female hates me going anywhere near her, as a rule i dont handle her, i didnt get her as a pet in that way, the only time i do touch her is when iam cleaning her viv. We have a panther at work that loves being handled and will readily come to you

·
Registered
270 Posts
Our male i have to fight with as soon as the viv door is open hes out on me and when i try and put him back he get angry and hisses and puffs up lol , but our young female is the other way round she will scuttle away if you get near the viv and when im cleaning it she hisses and goes to bite but hasnt yet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts