Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any advice?i not seen him eat for couple of days,he's active,nice and green but he dont look interested in food.i dont think much of those flexariums at all.any cham owners?please give advice.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
is he in a flexarium them?
what temp is he at?
what have you been feeding him?
does he look de-hydrated (sunken eyes/wrinkly skin)?

sometimes chams can stop eating as they get bored with the same food all the time. then they go on hunger strike till you give them something that sparks their interest.

if you are offering a range of food it could either be down to the husbandry or a potential prelude to illness..

answer the above questions an will let you know.. :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BELIAL said:
is he in a flexarium them?
what temp is he at?
what have you been feeding him?
does he look de-hydrated (sunken eyes/wrinkly skin)?

sometimes chams can stop eating as they get bored with the same food all the time. then they go on hunger strike till you give them something that sparks their interest.

if you are offering a range of food it could either be down to the husbandry or a potential prelude to illness..

answer the above questions an will let you know.. :)
in flexarium,but dont like it,he's about 30-32 degrees..he's offered crickets,lochusts and mealworms..he looks fine,really active.

he was CB.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stools seem fine,he is gettin skinnier.i never noticed as i see,feed him everyday.sarah noticed it tonight.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
temps are right....flexariums are good for certain things i.e the summer! in the winter they can get pretty cold and draughts can cause respitory infections...i don't use for permanent housing only in the garden during the summer.

i would look at how much water he is getting..try and up his water intake as they often stop eating when dehydrated.

funnily enough chams can get anorexia but this is usually due to an underlying husbandry problem.

often introduction of a 'green' prey item can stimulate eating. until he starts losing weight it will not be a problem however as soon as there are any signs of weight loss a trip to the vets is on order. he may well with upping his water just decide he has had enough of eating and start on his own.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Our 5 year old cham was the same. We always had to throw food into his mouth to feed him until he moved into a wooden viv thats well ventilated. now he eats happily out of our hands with no force from us at all. :D

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
was thinking more along the lines of grasshoppers but they are a pain to get at this time of the year...i would up the water and then try on waxworms as they seem to be an all round favourite of most chams..if this doesn't work after a couple of days you may want to think about the vets...because if the husbandry is right temp/humidity/water/stress then there may be a medical problem..
just make sure you take him to a vet that knows what they are talkin about as unfortunately most dont have a scoobies..

oh and dandelions are pretty good but males are fussy at the best of times and if he is on hunger strike he def ain't gonna want plants!! :)

i take it you don't hand feed? really should get em hand feeding then any problem like this can be avoided. if there are two things i would always recommend :

1. excellent ventilation.
2. always hand feed...(help with stress/notice any warning signs is just all round better! is a lot of work but it reaps rewards. even more work when you have 8 yemens and a few more chams on top! :lol: )

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
our yeman stopped eating for a few weeks we were worried for a while but then we moved him to our rep room (lovely and cosy in there) and now he is back to normal :D we also realised that the cat (who is no longer with us :? ) was going into the room and laying right under his fav branch.reckon this kinda put him off eating too.have u any other pets that could be stressing him out?is the room where hes kept nice and warm? does he shake wen he walks? does he fire his tounge ? have u tried making him open his mouth and then dropping food in?(we made him eat wax worms) does he drink even tho hes not eating? are you changing your viv soon?? our yeman is in a custom built viv and has been free roaming(which means we have loads of branches everywhere lol) since day 1 (hes now nearly 4 yrs old )

hope yours start eating soon if not get him to the vets :)
a wee slideshow of our yeman

http://img242.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img242/9776/1166280077n0r.smil

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Champs actually 4 yrs old mum :p

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the advice,im gonna get him a exoterra glass viv with lots of vents up top.and see how he is,i feel bad cos i think its me doin something wrong.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
eeeuuurgh....i hate those things. they are no good for chams..they just do not provide enough ventilation. a normal viv is much better..just put more vents i the back and take out one of the glass doors and replace with a mesh door...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts