Reptile Forums banner

My female anolie looks thin

1K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  DeanThorpe 
#1 ·
The male seems fatter than her any ideas what I can do for her?

#2 ·
What do you feed them at the mo? Is she getting as much food as he is? If he's dominating the food intake it might be an idea to separate them for feeding. We have to do this with our Leos as two of them are Het Tremper, and our Hi Yellow was gettin nudged out in the food stakes, so now all 3 of them get feb seperate. She still skinny tho, but her tail is nice and fat.

Perhaps post some pics so we can have a look.

The occasional waxworm can be good for weight gain, but they are really fatty.

Hope that helps a little.

#3 ·
maybe she's laid an egg somewhere,

ours go very fat then thin and then we search for their eggs lol.

#4 ·
if she is thin, she is not gettin enough food...
do u throw crix in and leave them to it or do u know how much they both eat?

#5 ·
I've no idea how much they eat, i give them vitiminised crickets and locusts, also gave 'em some wax worms is that ok? Some one in a pet shop said I should give 'em baby food is this true?

#6 ·
Never heard of giving them Baby Food tbh! Best thing would be to feed them separately, and watch her to make sure she's eating at all.

#8 ·
No forget the baby food, theres a mixture of honey and fruit you can make up that they like, but not quite baby food.
ill post the ingredients for the mix a bit later when i find it.

Anoles are best not handled generally and feeding them seperate doesnt seem like a good idea to me, i dont think its common atall.

When you say vitiminiesed crickets, wat do you mean?

Its a good idea to generally know how much they are eating, you wana know that not too many are being left in, likewise that they dont eat them all right away and still hungry, also the obviious possibility here of one not getting much or even any food.

I know you dont wana hand feed them or anything like that and that wouldnt work anyway but its best to feed them and watch them hunt the food down and eat occasioanlly to make sure everythings good.

#9 ·
maybe she just hasnt eaten for the day yet, anoles are only small so its easy for them to look skinny one day and fat the other, plus theyre so active weight probably just drops off them lol

#10 ·
lol..no :)
They should remain fairly consistant in thier body weight as all animlas should, pregnancy and egg laying are the only normal reasons to throw things off, others are a little nastier like if they were bloated, followed by withdrawen etc.

Im sure its just not gettin enough food but I also dont see how someone doesnt know how much live food thier reps eat which is why i was asking really.I dont mean exact amounts or anything liek that, just a general feel of thier eating habits.

#11 ·
have u ever tried seeing how much anoles eat dean?

#12 ·
yes i used to keep them 10 years ago blazey.

#13 ·
then u should know that its impossible to see how much they actually eat cuz they carry their food up into the trees and eat it there.

do u say u just have two? maybe the female is oversexed?

#14 ·
if you see an anole dragging a cricket up a tree its fair to assume its eating it.

#15 ·
they go into the bushes and how can u tell if its eating a cricket that climbed into the bush independantly?

anyway, ive had enough of trying to help, if we're going to argue about helping someone dean then i'll leave u to it.

#16 ·
They look at the crickets but don't seem to eat 'em as they're alive later in the week, shouldn't they eat every few days?

#17 ·
Sorry but you can have a good idea if its eating, you need to if only to eliminate that as a cause for losing weight so you can then find out what it is.
Hungry healthy anoles...Food goes in....Anoles start to hunt down or even outright pounce at the food, they dont always take food up to eat either.

Not trying to be a bitch but i dont think that knowin how much food its eating and taking it from there is a bad place to start in diagnosing the problem.

#18 ·
i dont think any of my female anoles would cope if they were stuck in with demetrius, the male, by themselves. hence my opinion of oversexed.

#19 ·
zirliz said:
They look at the crickets but don't seem to eat 'em as they're alive later in the week, shouldn't they eat every few days?
hmm yeh, mayeb they aint so hungry then.
Maybe you could get some wax worm in a tub on the viv floor, leave them there and hopefully if either are hungry they will eventually come out and get them.

You might be able to get an idea whether they simply arent hungry or are off thier food for another reason.

and yeh i think you can feed them every other day.

#20 ·
Blazey said:
i dont think any of my female anoles would cope if they were stuck in with demetrius, the male, by themselves. hence my opinion of oversexed.
yeh thats possible defiently.
Again, if the female was eating tho itd be a better sign than if it had stopped eating and became lethargic and hiding away.
So knowing would be beneficial.

#21 ·
maybe the problem is they arent eating crickets because u have been feeding them waxworms.

waxworms are much sweeter in tste and can sometimes make the rep only want to eat those and ignore the plainer tasting food?

#22 ·
yeh,maybe.
wouldnt explain why one is skinny though.

#23 ·
I put some in 'cause I hear they're good for thin animals and I just saw her swallow one so maybe the faster moving things aren't really her thing, I see legs and bits in the tank so it must be the male, anyway hopefully she'll put back on the weight.

Thanks for the info

#24 ·
Are you making sure they have enough to drink. I have to keep spraying my anoles. Make sure they are getting enough to drink from the leafs and sides of the vivs just incase they are dehydrated. Mine go really skinny after they have laid a egg so I chuck in a couple of wax worms and try to make sure they get one each every day until they look a little plumper.

#26 ·
DEANandTRESE said:
yeh,maybe.
wouldnt explain why one is skinny though.
cuz one might not mind crickets being less sweet but one may have gotten bit picky over its food.
self explanatory really

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.