Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou, i'm chuffed to bits. He spun round and jumped on my hand as i was rounding him up, think he shocked himself lol. Cocky though as his bodyguards weren't far away when he was hatching, they jumped face first into the substrate and stalked me lol :whistling2:.

excuse the glass, they all sit above and poo straight down it, makes for quicker cleaning though haha.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
OMG!!! I want, want, want!!! :flrt:

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Thankyou, i'm chuffed to bits. He spun round and jumped on my hand as i was rounding him up, think he shocked himself lol. Cocky though as his bodyguards weren't far away when he was hatching, they jumped face first into the substrate and stalked me lol :whistling2:.

excuse the glass, they all sit above and poo straight down it, makes for quicker cleaning though haha.
Haha I know that look!!!! Is that a 1.2 trio? Do you have them all housed together while laying/hatching? Don't worry about the poo lol. Mine all do the same!

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Congrats :no1: but arnt these things mad hand and finger biters :lol2:

Joking apart there great , i love tokays :2thumb:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha I know that look!!!! Is that a 1.2 trio? Do you have them all housed together while laying/hatching? Don't worry about the poo lol. Mine all do the same!
Feared for my digits slightly lol, yep they are housed together, touch wood very well behaved and no probs as yet, not something i've tried before but has worked well since sept.
It's very interesting watching them interact together/ hunt etc, they've worked out their ranking and own hides.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats :no1: but arnt these things mad hand and finger biters :lol2:

Joking apart there great , i love tokays :2thumb:
I'm not daft enough to put my fingers near them lol, strangely i never handle them but the girls jump on and off my arm when im cleaning them out, the big laddy is a wuss and watches from his plant haha : victory:

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Feared for my digits slightly lol, yep they are housed together, touch wood very well behaved and no probs as yet, not something i've tried before but has worked well since sept.
It's very interesting watching them interact together/ hunt etc, they've worked out their ranking and own hides.
Nice one : ) could you keep me posted and let me know if the continue to do well in the trio? Nearly every other breeder I speak to has found the females eat each others eggs and not uncommonly other females hatchlings. I'm going to experiment to see if 2 females from the same clutch and raised together will compete for laying sites etc.

Another interesting note, If a male is in the same enclosure as a hatchling he did not father, he will attempt to eat it. If he did father it, even if it is separated or incubated separately and then re-introduced the male will still know it is his offspring and won't eat it. I've always wondered how they know!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice one : ) could you keep me posted and let me know if the continue to do well in the trio? Nearly every other breeder I speak to has found the females eat each others eggs and not uncommonly other females hatchlings. I'm going to experiment to see if 2 females from the same clutch and raised together will compete for laying sites etc.

Another interesting note, If a male is in the same enclosure as a hatchling he did not father, he will attempt to eat it. If he did father it, even if it is separated or incubated separately and then re-introduced the male will still know it is his offspring and won't eat it. I've always wondered how they know!
:2thumb: very interesting, each female sticks close to her eggs, but i have noticed when one ventures off to feed, the male moves in at the same time and guards that females eggs from the other if she comes too close and when i clean out the male flaps between both sets, don't know if thats how i'm reading it or thats also a males role, either way he's a busy boy. I have removed the hatchling as not brave enough to test the theory of the other female having a munch as the same day the other egg hatched whilst i was not in and as yet there is no sign of the hatchling, however there is a lot of decor so fingers crossed :gasp:

·
Registered
13,890 Posts

Even i dont wanna get bit by a tokay :lol2:

Congrats on the hatchling kaz :no1:

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
:2thumb: very interesting, each female sticks close to her eggs, but i have noticed when one ventures off to feed, the male moves in at the same time and guards that females eggs from the other if she comes too close and when i clean out the male flaps between both sets, don't know if thats how i'm reading it or thats also a males role, either way he's a busy boy. I have removed the hatchling as not brave enough to test the theory of the other female having a munch as the same day the other egg hatched whilst i was not in and as yet there is no sign of the hatchling, however there is a lot of decor so fingers crossed :gasp:
What size is that viv? Reason I ask is a lot of the time when forming trios people tend to go higher rather than wider. I think the extra width is the key so females can get some distance between them. I think you did right removing the hatchling though. Keep them wee Toklets coming : )

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've tried different setups including different sized exos and have found the current setup has had better results for me (or rather my toks). They are in a 3ft high x 3ft wide x 2ft deep wooden viv. I think with regards to the wood and foliage with plenty of bark and crossed logs they have a good few hides each to choose from and more surface area to use. They're regularly all together in the plants but have the option get right away from each other if required.
This setup may not work for everyone but all is good at the mo and temps/ humidity easily maintained so happy for now : victory:

Think i'll get brave with my little one before i start your "Tokay Roulette" antics lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts