Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for a long time now I`ve wanted to sort up my Leucs viv as it was wild in there plant wise.
Also the substrate had over time been rotting away, so if I`d left it as it was the poor Leucs would have been walking about on the plastic mesh on top of the hydro leca.
So off came the coco panel which was on the end and I replaced it with a brick effect background which I got from Marc at Dartfrog.
I deliberately bought a larger one so that I could use the extra to build up some sort of central area for planting and for the Leucs to climb about on.
My pitcher plant (Nepenthes Alata) had grown huge so I had to cut that back big time.
But as you can see in the photo the colours are stunning and I`d find it hard now to not have that plant in there.
I bought it from Dartfrog about 4 years ago and it just thrives in that viv.
I took out all the soil which was one messy job lol, and put in egg crate with my favourite peat plates sitting on top.
As I`ve said before the peat will take on a gorgeous covering of moss in no time and it will also be more durable than the previous substrate.
The egg crate will lift the peat up away from the water table giving it some breathing space below allowing it to drain better.
The pool at the end remains as I have found that Leucs just love water and they spend a lot of time in that pool.
What substrate I`m going to use in the walled part I`m not sure yet, but maybe a mix of eco earth and orchid bark, something fast draining.
The Leucs of course are having fun as I`ve moved them into a rearing viv for the time being.
They`ve just not stopped since I put them in.
Anyway, more later.

Mike

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike what's the brick looking square in the middle mate??

Thanks
Dane
Hi Dane
I bought the brick effect background from Dartfrog with the intention of blanking off one end of the viv (which in fact was designed as a room divider 130 gallon aquarium) and what was left over was to be used to build a raised area in the centre for putting plants etc.
And of course as Leucs love climbing it gives them a higher level to play around on.
When I found that slab of bog wood in my mates shop it was just what I needed to finish the viv off as it now creates a massive overhang which will give the Leucs some shade from the 4 tubes which are in the hood.

Mike

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I decided I`ll put them back in their "new" viv and see how they like it.
They`ve already been all around it and inspected everything, and within 10 minutes one of the males was calling his little heart out.
I`ve not heard them calling since moving them out so it must meet with their approval.
One has already been in the pool for a splash around.

Mike

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Damn that little leuc is pretty nearest camera last shot Mike:flrt:

Stu

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Stu.
Yes it is a nice one, and after your post I checked and that is in fact the same one in the first 2 shots.
But they just haven`t stopped calling since I moved them back in, it`s unreal.
They obviously love their new home so it`s good news all round :2thumb:.
Lights out and they`re still at it and again as soon as the curtains are opened before lights on.
Damn but I just love my Leucs :flrt:.
I`ll never regret buying them.

Mike

·
Registered
409 Posts
Love it I like the moss what is it?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truth be told I`ve no idea.
That tank has been on the go now for over 4 years and I don`t remember ever putting moss into that tank.
As far as I can remember it has all grown on it`s own from the damp conditions around the pool.
The only moss I`ve ever bought in the past came from Marc at Dartfrog, but there was no specific name for it so if I did in fact put some of that in I have no idea what it is.

Mike

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just realised I have some in my fish tank it's java moss can I put some in my pool in the Azzies viv?

Reactions: Ron Magpie

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can`t see any reason why not Jane.
What to do is give it a wash and put some in a bowl of fresh water for a few days to help neutralise any nasties before using it.

Well I just went to move one of the coco huts and found a clutch of eggs inside.
That was a nice surprise, I was thinking they`d gone on strike lol.

Mike

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ah that is a nice surprise have to admit ones in pics look fab

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Truth be told I`ve no idea.
That tank has been on the go now for over 4 years and I don`t remember ever putting moss into that tank.
As far as I can remember it has all grown on it`s own from the damp conditions around the pool.
The only moss I`ve ever bought in the past came from Marc at Dartfrog, but there was no specific name for it so if I did in fact put some of that in I have no idea what it is.

Mike
Mike Marc does some little squares of moss,in between two bits of celophane,if it's that it's black jungle sheet moss,if not I haven't a clue:lol2: Yeah I thought it was the same one as in the earlier pics. Ours are going nuts too,we have had a few storms last few days,it's pretty noisy all round here,I don't think we could be without leucs either

Stu

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did try that Black Jungle moss Stu but couldn`t get it to grow.
The stuff I got from Marc he sells in sheets 20 x 40cm for £3.99.
But as it was a long time ago I can`t be sure if I used it, but I`m suspecting that I did now I`m thinking about it.
Landscaping & Decor Price List 6th one up from the Décor.

Mike

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I did try that Black Jungle moss Stu but couldn`t get it to grow.
The stuff I got from Marc he sells in sheets 20 x 40cm for £3.99.
But as it was a long time ago I can`t be sure if I used it, but I`m suspecting that I did now I`m thinking about it.
Landscaping & Decor Price List 6th one up from the Décor.

Mike
Ha I thought I might t rigger the old grey matter Mike:lol2: Buddy I'm starting the Bj stuff on ecoearth in little curry tubs,popped under the lights between the vivs,on the rack,it seems slow ,but a little liverwort in some packs might be a winner,all damn slow though. Anyway grats on the leucs,man I love baby leucs,we just got some ootw:flrt::flrt:best 'o' luck with the little darlings
cheers for that^^
Stu

1 - 20 of 232 Posts