Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My gargoyles have had some eggs, their first clutch together. I'm surprised really as they have only been together for about 5 months. The male is striped and the female is mottled.

Whats the odds of them being striped? Thanks

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I'm sure someone who actually knows will jump in but at a guess i'd say similar to fat tails. You need stripe+stripe to breed stripes in fat tails AFAIK.

Could be wrong though :)

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
With other Rhacs, like Cresteds, the genetics do not work like leos, fat tails and other genetically predictable species. You could end up with half and half, you could end up with all striped, you could end up with all reticulated, or just a random mix! Thats how it works in cresteds anyway and i was under the impression that gargs are fairly similar. Obvs. they have less morphs than cresteds so your probablities would be easier to work out but just wait and see!! you're more likely to get offspring similar to parents but the frequencies are random in cresteds.

Oh and good luck i just love little garg hatchlings! I go crazy for the reallllly pale ones!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I kind of thought that might be the case. I cant wait for them to hatch now. Only 30ish days to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts