Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 of my trio gouramis have died anddont now why? can any one suggest why, soory about lack of imfo, but ill awser any questions. :( :cry:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to hear that. What gouramis were they are how big is the tank? What other fish are in the tank and do you know your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate stats?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dwarfs do seem pretty weak ATM in general. When I first started fishkeeping and overstocked, I had 2 golden and 2 monnlights and the goldens were bullied to death by the otherwise peaceful moonlights. Knowing what they are, is there only one species and tank size will help

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gold and Blue Gourami got a blue left, trio. i have 7 tetras, couple haloshsgdh, small fish any way soz SP dunt have a clue, krebince, snail, rainbow shark, silver sharkx2,silver dollax2, pimpitcus,pingasiuss,khuli and panther loachx3 all togethre!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Like I said, my golden gouramis were bullied to death by the moonlights so that could be it. You do seem to have a lot of fish there - silver dollars and silver sharks need big tanks (the latter grow to a foot or more), kribs, if in breeding pairs, can get aggressive when spawning. rainbow sharks are hostile and territorial. I think you may have some big aggression issues going on - sorry

How big is the tank and what are the water stats? How often do you do a water change and how much?

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said, my golden gouramis were bullied to death by the moonlights so that could be it. You do seem to have a lot of fish there - silver dollars and silver sharks need big tanks (the latter grow to a foot or more), kribs, if in breeding pairs, can get aggressive when spawning. rainbow sharks are hostile and territorial. I think you may have some big aggression issues going on - sorry

How big is the tank and what are the water stats? How often do you do a water change and how much?
my gold gouramis wernt builied, i know that..my dollars and sharks arn't to big yet, so depending on when they out grow my tank ill either sell or upgrade tank.krebince is on its own, and can i say his colours a GREAT, just come out this month.rainbow are rubbing aech other, told this is agression, but they kinda have there own part of the tank now, which they stay in, unless there with each other, oh yeh got guppys and FAT BELLY danios that cahse each other, wounder if ther mating, have big bellys. and oh yeh keyhole cichlid and severums. cant belive i forgot them. and before you aske kehole keeps him self to himself and swimms around the rocks and plants, and the severums are kinda aggresive to each other but would touch the Harlaques(sp wrong but tiny fish harlaque maybe) and same as the sharks, ill either upgrade or sell when ther bigger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So in addition to the fish in your earlier post, you also have severums, guppies, rainbows, keyholes, harlequins and danios in there??????

If this is for real, you are going to lose loads more fish. You have also not yet said the size of the tank and water stats which are vital

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3ftx18insx15ins only now temp at the mo, also used to clean the wter out every 2weeks took 1/3 out then re-filled untill some one said no. and change filter wool.

·
Registered
38 Posts
glad it's temporary. The fish need to be rehoused asap and probably split between 4 tanks or more or returned to the LFS. i'd be looking at a tank of 200L or so for the severum (I have one in a 260L with rainbows) and 400L for the silver sharks in the end. The rainbow shark may need to go on his own. Then there are the silver dollars and other fish to sort out. It'll cost a bomb to keep them all properly

Your measurements sound like my 180L. Depending on how many you have of each you could keep the rainbows, guppies, harlequins and loaches in there

Weekly / fortnightly water changes are best but no need to do the whole tank. If it's not overstocked, 25% should be fine. Change / rinse the wool like you do and then rinse the other pads in old tank water when gunked

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how long will it take for these to reach THERE MAXAMUM length, years?

·
Registered
38 Posts
in most cases. yes. However, keeping them in tanks too small for them can lead to growth problems. Plus you will always have the aggression issues and I would be surprised if the nitrate isn't high due to the huge overstocking (may / may not be ammonia and nitrite as well but you'll need to check this with a liquid test kit)

Silver sharks for example, still need a large tank when small. They are skittish and nervy and can injure themselves on decor if not kept appropriately

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not saying your wrong, but my sharks are not skittish bilive it or not. But to tell you the truth my dollars are unbilivibly skitish. NOTHING bothers my sharks, lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please don't think that I am getting at you. I'm new on here tonight and don't want to fall out with anyone (I need too much cornsnake advice for that!)

Loads of fishkeepers have overstocked in a first tank. I know I did and lost a lot of my initial fish. It was only when I joined forums and asked and took advice off people with experience that things started to come good. I now moderate on a busy fish forum and see the same thing day in day out. It's up to you what you do with your fish but I'm sure experienced fishkeepers on here who post regularly will agree that it's best that you take immediate action if you don't want to lose more fish

I'd take a few off you but the only tank I have understocked is a 4 inch puffer in a 226L brackish cube tank so they wouldn't last long in there :razz:

Good luck

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no i now you aint gettin at me, so you want corn snake help? what do you want to know?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Your tank is very heavily over stocked dont want to moan to muc so ill just state the facts

A tank your size should have about 163cm of smallish fish (up to 10cm)

Your tank has got over 400cm of fish

Harlequinsx7=35cm

Kribensisx1=10cm

Rainbow sharkx2=30cm

Silver sharkx2=70cm

Silver dollarsx2=40cm

Pimpictusx1=15cm

Pangasius Catfishx1=100cm

Panther loachx3=20cm

Guppyx4=16cm

Daniosx4=20

Key hole cichlidx1=12cm

Severum cichlidx2=60cm

Total=428cm

oh these are adult sizes which you should always consider when buying a fish not the size you are buying at.
If you want to keep the fish you have then you would need a tank of abut 5x2x2 probaly bigger unless you got rid of the panagsius.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HAVE YOU READ ANYTHING I'V SAID!!!
i have been told this, and i have told what i will do!!!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Your tank is very heavily over stocked dont want to moan to muc so ill just state the facts

A tank your size should have about 163cm of smallish fish (up to 10cm)...
What rule do you go by for this?

I was always told 1 inch per US gallon (I started building my fishkeeping knowledge on an American forum :razz:).

I translated this to about 1cm per 1.5 litres, is yours different?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sorry snake lover!!! Intravenous I got my calculations from the PFK website which is pretty good in my opinion don't know the exact formula that they use.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts