Reptile Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
The difference is you can get a grass snake from your local park/wildlife habitat etc. for free, whereas you have to pay for a WC snake from any other source. The type of people that are willing to pay for an animal that is WC (when there are plenty of CB species available) are less likely to lack the knowledge to care for it IMO.
You make a fair point, however, you'd have to put the effort into actually catching the snake in the wild and from my experience as a child, it's not THAT easy! Where as, you can buy a snake from as little as £10 from some private breeders and for people who aren't willing to put any effort into it, spending £10 is the easier option.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
You make a fair point, however, you'd have to put the effort into actually catching the snake in the wild and from my experience as a child, it's not THAT easy! Where as, you can buy a snake from as little as £10 from some private breeders and for people who aren't willing to put any effort into it, spending £10 is the easier option.
There would likely be two types of people, opportunists and cheapskates. They see others posting pictures of their grass snake and then one day happen upon one and decide to catch it and get themselves a free snake. Then there are those that will literally go out there and look for one because they don't want to pay £50 for a CB corn snake at their local reptile shop.

I'm not saying everyone is going to go out there and catch grass snakes, I'm saying it could have a bad influence on some people. I'm not against WC at all, I have WC myself! I just worry about the experience level of the kind of people that may be influenced by this type of thread.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It's a nice snake, but strange why you'd want a wild caught one when there's at least one person selling helvetica in the uk, for dirt cheap

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
It's a nice snake, but strange why you'd want a wild caught one when there's at least one person selling helvetica in the uk, for dirt cheap
There is no one I know of selling Helvetica, and if they are I would be very interested as to how they prove they're CB from a legal perspective. I think you're thinking of Natrix natrix natrix which are almost identical and perfectly legal to sell, and I know of a few people that breed these and sell them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
There is no one I know of selling Helvetica, and if they are I would be very interested as to how they prove they're CB from a legal perspective. I think you're thinking of Natrix natrix natrix which are almost identical and perfectly legal to sell, and I know of a few people that breed these and sell them.
yep, i lied. they're N. n natrix :censor:
it's early. you gotta' let me off

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
There would likely be two types of people, opportunists and cheapskates. They see others posting pictures of their grass snake and then one day happen upon one and decide to catch it and get themselves a free snake. Then there are those that will literally go out there and look for one because they don't want to pay £50 for a CB corn snake at their local reptile shop.

I'm not saying everyone is going to go out there and catch grass snakes, I'm saying it could have a bad influence on some people. I'm not against WC at all, I have WC myself! I just worry about the experience level of the kind of people that may be influenced by this type of thread.
You're right, of course! But I think we're lucky that the vast majority of people who frequent this forum are not of the aforementioned type, therefore sharing a picture of a WC grass snake will not suddenly encourage us all to go out snake hunting!
I believe, if there were ever a place for us to share the pictures of our much loved snakes, this is it.
WC or CB, there will always be people who abuse their animals, but thankfully most of those people are not here, as if you've found this site, you must at least be trying to do it right!

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
You're right, of course! But I think we're lucky that the vast majority of people who frequent this forum are not of the aforementioned type, therefore sharing a picture of a WC grass snake will not suddenly encourage us all to go out snake hunting!
I believe, if there were ever a place for us to share the pictures of our much loved snakes, this is it.
WC or CB, there will always be people who abuse their animals, but thankfully most of those people are not here, as if you've found this site, you must at least be trying to do it right!
You can find this site by simply googling a topic related to reptiles. Remember that the OP also shared this on Facebook. If people are interested in Natrix then I would recommend joining Thamnophis.com and joining some Thamnophis and Natrix groups on Facebook. Unfortunately there is a lot of bad information relating to husbandry of Thamnophis and Natrix species out there.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
There are different localities of grass snake. You could snaffle a grass snake off a river bank and try and look after it but you wouldn't really be on a par with the serious keeper who obtains specific localities internationally and does a great job.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
To be fair just going out and catching one isn't that simple.. Plus snakes aren't wanting to be caught.. I think the ones who just want a free snake are likely to give up fairly quickly..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
832 Posts
You see I just have a fundamental problem with this whole business of "influencing".

It really bugs me when people blame TV/Video games/The internet etc. for their behaviour.

We are all individuals and we all take responsibility for what we do.

If someone wants to post pics of WC grass snake what's the problem? This is the bit of the forum for posting pics of snakes.

If the OP post had said "hey anyone want a free snake - this is where to find them, and how to catch them, it's easy why not give it a go" then that would be one thing.

Anyway, judging by the number of Boas that are on the loose in the Daily Mail I think the eco system is in perfect balance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wish you all the very best with your project Mike and Amanda.
I live in Luton for my sins so unable to help, but would love to be involved in something like this.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
yawn everytime u have a grass snake u bad bad person you :bash: at the end of the day it takes a damn site more effort to go out herping and to actually hunt one down where as i can walk in pets at home or sit on my ass here and find a cheap snake any time i like so the argument about free snakes is bull:censor: takes a damn site more commitment to go out and find something than to have it couriered to your door

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I don't blame anyone for taking a WC specimen, especially if they live in an area where they are common. I've been tempted myself.

I also don't think it's anything to do with money. I'll offer £50 (I'd happily pay a lot more if it was necessary) to anyone who has a CB british grassie for sale, even though I could easily get a WC one for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quite so, difficult to find in most areas above the midlands. Not easy to catch & not the easiest snake to care for in captivity.
I will be entirely honest & state that I do intend to own a grassie in the near future for the purpose of educational displays, public awareness & as part of the conservation project I am involved with. This specimen may or may not end up being bred from with the intention of repopulating designated areas.
I believe that this is entirely legal & ethical as well as my overall intentions being for the preservation of the population of grassies in the UK (not just the south!)
I would certainly not encourage anyone to simply go out & catch one but equally I would not encourage anyone to simply go & buy a snake either unless they knew what they were doing & had the committment to look after it for the next 20 - 30 years etc.
When i was a kid I was lucky enough to keep & breed WC grassies then release them in time for hibernation this taught me a lot about reptiles.
I havent ever seen a wild one since I was a kid which has taught me even more about the committment the UK has to it's wildlife, this also includes recent expeditions to locate them in areas where they have recently been seen.
Anyone interested in knowing more can visit me on facebook 'Grass Snake Conservation North West'
Thanks
Mike

21 - 37 of 37 Posts