Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,
Around 3.5 years ago I bought my first reptile - a bearded dragon (it was a toss up between one of these and a leo, and the little baby dragons faces up against the glass won me over). I dont think I realised then how addictive herpetology was back then, as I now have 5 (hopefully going on 6) and can think of at least two more species that I *MUST* have :) Heres a warning to anyone with one lizard - they have a strange habit of multiplying!

Ages, the bearded dragon

Big Teg, the argentine tegu, was my next herp. I had always wanted him since I first saw him in the shop, but I didnt actually convince myself that I could afford to buy or house him until more than 6 months later. Unfortunately, we had always referred to him as "the tegu" when he was in the shop, and when we finally picked him up we just couldnt stick with any other name. Hes now around 3 years old, 6.5kgs and 4ft in length, and is an absolute joy. I personally adore tegus, and in my minds eye I see the house overrun with them in the future (I dont think my boyfriend quite shares this dream with me)

Hes was somewhat overweight at the start of the year, and so has been on a careful diet. He is definitely more active and slimmer now, although he still has a lot of skin folds which make him look immense when he lies down.

Next came another argentine black and white - a wee fellow we picked up from Portsmouth that I named Orin. I hadnt really planned on getting another one, but when I clapped eyes on him it was love at first sight. I love his white colouring around his face and neck, which is alot more pronounced than Tegs. He was very feisty in the shop and took ages to be caught - since he came to us, we have never had any problems touching him. He gets a lot of time out of the cage on the couch with us, so hopefully he will tame down as Teg has (sadly Teg uses any opportunity free roaming to poo, and so isnt allowed on the couch).

At this time, Orin is about 22" in length and "his" sex is unknown (part of me would like a female so that breeding might be a possibility, but I always refer to it as a he).

Finally, I picked up two Monkey Tail Skinks fairly recently. I have wanted a pair of these for a while, but the prices have always been way out of my league - luckily I was offered these two at a low price as the store really wanted to move them on (like Teg they had been in the shop for months, not selling due to the high price tag). Im very sure that they are two females, and so am currently looking for a male to add to the group at some point. They are absolutely fascinating to watch, as they are completely different to anything else that I have owned.

Msizi

Nimbus

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Very nice selection, I'd had no idea what a Tegu looke like

Thank you

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both :) Tegus are absolutely awesome animals, as they seem to adjust to human contact so easily. Our baby one was terrified of people when we got him; now he will sit around on the couch with us. Lovely little creatures!

The monkey tails are demons in disguise I swear; cute and inquisitive and willing to eat out of your hand one minute, then charging at you the next! I have a great collection of scratches all over my arms from them - they really do dig in hard!

·
She Ra, Mastress of the Universe
1,045 Posts
It's so true!!

Your collection is great.

and i completely agree with you, it is addictive.

i got my first rep 2 years ago, a corn snake.
a few months ago i finally convinced my better half to get a second [had the spare tank and i wanted to fill it] it wasnt hard, just took him to the pet shop and he fell in love with the beardies, so we have one.

and i intend to get a second corn as soon as we move into a bigger place.
would love to get some sort of gecko at some point too.

my dream is to have a room like a library, but instead of floor to roof books, itd be floor to roof vivs :p :D

reptiles are brillant :)

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
nice little collection you have

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
hello jo ive been wanting to see some pics of orin and shes gorgeous is she still eating loads is she 22inch in that picture if she is im sure theres a good chance she will be a female as you will proberly already know females faces are longer than male because of the jowls mine is about the same size and looks as if his head is alot more shorter

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
your tegu is lovely and great colours on your beardie :D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Martin,
At this age, Orin is impossible to sex accurately in an uninvasive way, as he is not mature and so not displaying any sexual characteristics like jowls :( Would be nice if he was a girl! I guess we'll just have to wait and see ;) I believe that Orin may be representative of a different region than the Teg, as he is a lot lighter in colour and also has an absolutely crazy long tail. But Im not certain.

There are more pics of Orin and Teg at;
www.freewebs.com/johelian
and http://thetegu.com/modules.php?set_...ame=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Orin is definitely the prettiest, but he is also as stupid as they come. Oh well - cant win em all! :D

Basky - thanks a lot :D She is almost chameleonic in her colour changes. She is a lovely pale lemon yellow and white when relaxed or happy (for example when being fed anything that moves), and turns a very dark stone colour with a dark brown beard when she is agitated (for example when going outside!)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol I love them both but I do think the tegus are the best :) My little beardie has a special place in my heart as my first (and most patient/least demanding) reptile, but I do think tegus are one of those undiscovered reptilian treasures. The monkey tails are so interesting, but they really rather keep to themselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts