Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i went and brought a ministat 300 today is this everythink i need....

ministat300
heat mat
2 hides
1 water bowl
and the terrarium oviously lol

thats all i need right?

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
Sounds good to me. What are you getting? What substrate are you using?

Also, I would get digital thermometer: the stats can never be relied on to be accurate. Dont get me wrong, you need a stat, but what I mean is if you set it at '29', it will keep the temp constant at the probe, but not necassarily at 29, could be more or less, and so you need a thermometer to check it and adjust if necassary.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes oviously i have them lol i have a 9 month old king snake and i do have a therometer its on 85 and so is the stat so everythink seems ok im usin woodchips is that ok for the snake?

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
yes oviously i have them lol i have a 9 month old king snake and i do have a therometer its on 85 and so is the stat so everythink seems ok im usin woodchips is that ok for the snake?
Sounds good! A lot of people like to use aspen (me included). The snakes like to burrow in it. Also be careful, whatever substrate you use (specially woodchips) that non is ingested during feeding. Either feed outside the tank, or put the mouse on something in the tank.

So, have you got some pics of it then? Lets see!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i normally put his mice on his hide ive heard alot of people use newspaper what you think?

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
yeah i normally put his mice on his hide ive heard alot of people use newspaper what you think?
I use newspaper for me BRB right now, as he's little, and its more sterile. It is cleaner, and you can easily find poo's and whatnot.

But, I dont like the look of it. Also, my corn loves making the tunnels in the apsen. I dont think there is anything particularly wrong with either newspaper or aspen, just aspen looks nicer!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah thats the only thing with newspaper it looks nasty but then again your going to be saving a few pounds at the same time.at what age would you say a king snake would have to go into a viv someone told me 2 years old

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
Well, a tiny little baby could go into a viv straight away, if the viv had LOADS of cover etc.

Just depends on the size of the snake, not age (as always with snakes!). It could prob go into a viv of about 3' long when it was maybe 2' long, just put lots of hides in there for it. Thats where aspen is useful: they can make tunnels around the viv, so they can travel around without being exposed!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah true i might try aspen see how it goes im thinking of getting a corn (preferbly snow or amel heat or maybe ghost)will i need what ive got now the set up the king has????

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
You need to host them on a website (I use photobucket). Then, you insert the URL with the '[ I M G ]' things around them around them. If you use photobucket, all you do is copy the link it gives you (the one that starts with IMG), and paste it into any post, an thats it! Not too hard.

Just join photobucket, load them onto that, and copy the IMG code.... sorted!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Sounds good to me. What are you getting? What substrate are you using?

Also, I would get digital thermometer: the stats can never be relied on to be accurate. Dont get me wrong, you need a stat, but what I mean is if you set it at '29', it will keep the temp constant at the probe, but not necassarily at 29, could be more or less, and so you need a thermometer to check it and adjust if necassary.
yup i'll go along with that.:2thumb:.
other wise every thing sounds good to me.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
from nose to tail id say 20 inches yeah since day 1 i had him hes had really nice colours

1 - 20 of 50 Posts