Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some time away, i feel the need once again to create something out of my beloved spaceboards. Good job i had some spare as i have found out that B&Q have stopped selling it.:censor::censor:

Any how im in the process of this build.

Its to fit inside my Exo for my female Leo, she love to try and burrow and bury herself in whatever landscape i put into her viv, so now i will giver her her own batcave (so to speak)

Here is the beginning stages.

The bottom cave runs the complete width of the install with a total internal height of approx 3" and 5" wide. enough room for her to get in and have more that enough room to turn around inside.

First layer of grout down, i will update you more tomorrow

Any comments or ideas for me?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Very nice. I would have been tempted in having the rear of the hide on one side of the viv, that way you could incorporate a viewing window. Not sure how happy the Leo would be about this though?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice. I would have been tempted in having the rear of the hide on one side of the viv, that way you could incorporate a viewing window. Not sure how happy the Leo would be about this though?
I know what you mean, but i want to try and give her some privacy as she is right next door to the other Exo that houses her sister. Peace and tranquility is key for my girl.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Understandable. No point in building something that is just for your benefit!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Small update for today.

Placed some black paint in all of the grooves of the rocks to add a layer of depth before the rock colour goes on.

Im undecided to do it a standard sandstone colour or to go with a more grey coloured stone.

What you think?

The solid black is inside of the cave. Keep it as dark as possible in there.

And the top separated later gets much of the same treatment.

More updates this evening.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You'll never see her again! :) looks good though

How you going to be heating the tank?

Reactions: gibzy

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll never see her again! :) looks good though

How you going to be heating the tank?
Hi, the heat mat at present is outside of the tank under the glass, with this in place i have recessed the underside and will be moving the heatmat to the inside on a thermostat. This stuff really is a good insulator of heat so even after lights out it will stay a nice temperature throughout the night but allow for thermo regulation.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well i did promise an update for this evening so here we go.

Ive added the first base layer of paint. for the ground level i am going for a sark brown rocky colour, depicting lowlands. the mid level will be a little lighter and will be a browny green and i will make it look hilly. The top layer is going to be a greeny bluey white showing mountain tops with snowy ridges.

I dont know if this will end up exactly how ive wrote it, so i'll just go with the flow.

Here is where ive got to so far.

Dont worry too much about the sand at the moment, is going to be painted over and varnished.

Keep tuned for tomorrow nights updates

1 - 17 of 17 Posts