Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice really

Im trying to breed my High Yellow Female Hypo with my Male SHTCTB and i know for a fact that shes been pregnant twice now over the past 3-4 months, but she keeps retaining and absorbing them instead of laying.

The male is proven, but the female has never laid before so isnt proven and they are both in a 3ft viv that has a perfect laying box filled with moist vermaculite and a little moss

What am i doing wrong???? :censor::censor::censor:

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
breeding season is coming to an end, this may be the cause? also, keeping your male in may be part of the issue. you could do with separating and trying again next breeding season, this could be stressing her out x

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
If you know she has absorb the egg's mate, she really needs to go to a vet asap!
Im only saying this as i had a female kimberley rock monitor who absorbed her eggs (with out me knowing), i sold her to a fellow forumer and she had to be put to sleep because she ended up getting a blood infection!
Septicemia (dunno how you spell it).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well Sazzle has clearly got a lot more experiance than me here but females who have not bred before often dont breed as you would expect a proven female to (some lay one egg rather than the usual two and often the first eggs laid can be infertile) but this usually sorts its self out the season after.

Also it may be worth double checking her calcium intake as she may feel (for want of a better word) that she just cannot spare the huge levels of calcium needed to form the egg shells and hence reabsorbs them.

Im sure i will be corrected here but they were the first things to jump to mind.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Leo advice.....

As said above, the time for breeding has been and gone, for most people, long time past too, as most pair up Leo's feb-May time.
This time of year a lot of Leo's just want to chill out and restock their reserves, many even start to brumate around now for the next few months. I totally agree with Sazz, seperate the male and give him his own space, as they shouldn't be homed together 24/7, it takes too much toll on the female being subjected to forced sexual advances all the time, plus competition for hiding places, space, hot spots and food will only serve to lower both their overall fitness levels, most only introduce males to their females long enough to do the deed and then back to their pads to chill out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help guys. the only reason they are together at the moment is that ive got a viv build going on and im selling four of my sub adult normals to free up a bit of room.

i know that breeding time has come and gone so ill take the comments onboard.

cheers guys, hopefully be more successful next year

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
See my comment has gone un-noticed :whistling2:

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
thanks for the help guys. the only reason they are together at the moment is that ive got a viv build going on and im selling four of my sub adult normals to free up a bit of room.

i know that breeding time has come and gone so ill take the comments onboard.

cheers guys, hopefully be more successful next year
to be honest hun a lot of us have had a pretty sucky year where eggs are concerned :lol2:

Reactions: azza23

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,607 Posts
See my comment has gone un-noticed :whistling2:
Not un-noticed, no.

With Leos (I don't know about monitors) it is not usually a big deal if they reabsorb their eggs. Retained eggs (egg-bound) IS a big deal though - perhps this is what happened to the monitor?

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Not un-noticed, no.

With Leos (I don't know about monitors) it is not usually a big deal if they reabsorb their eggs. Retained eggs (egg-bound) IS a big deal though - perhps this is what happened to the monitor?

Maybe so then, not sure.
With regards to the monitor, she was taken to a vet and had xrays,blood tests and there was no sign of eggs (and she was definately gravid a few times) and then the blood tests came back with septicemia due to re-absorbtion of eggs. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts