Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My leopard gecko is not eating
This is a popular question and rightly so it is very worrying when any of your pets refuse to eat here’s a few questions that if you could include and answer in your thread would be very helpful to anyone trying to help you and your leopard gecko.

1. Is your setup correct please include detailed information about your setup including how many leopard geckos live with in it.

As an example I will explain one of my basic setups.

The vivarium is wooden 2 foot wide 15 inch’s deep and 1ft high.
We are using a heat mat this covers half the vivarium floor.
For substrate we are using lino.
We are using a thermostat to control warm end floor temperature in conjunction with digital thermometer the probes are both at floor level of the warm end and one thermometer probe in the cool end.
Getting warm end floor temps of between 32.c - 33.c and cool end temperatures of around 23.c.
We are using three main hides warm end hide, cool end hide and moist hide in the middle I use coir as the medium for my moist hide.
Also have a water bowl mealworm dish and a small cap of calcium for them to lick.
My vivarium houses a lone female.

A picture of your setup and the leopard gecko is always helpful

Heres an example of picture that will help try to include whole setup in the picture and the whole of the leopard gecko in question.

2. How old is your leopard gecko

Here’s why answering this question is helpful

Hatchling and juvenile leopard geckos normally have a ferocious appetite eating many items of live food in one sitting and normally will eat everyday as they are still growing.
But once they are starting to mature and reach their full size at around a year old their appetite normally slows right down as they are not growing anymore.

3. How much does your leopard gecko weigh have they lost any weight

Rapid weight loss is normally always a positive sign of a problem and is easily and quickly picked up if you weigh your leopard geckos and keep a record.
It is a good idea to weigh your adult leopard geckos around once per month and record the weight
I like to weigh juveniles once a week so I know they are growing and putting on weight.

4. How long have you owned your leopard gecko

It can take a leopard gecko that has just been put into a new setup time to settle in and feel safe in their new environment new is quite stressful for them.
This amount of time varies from one individual to another and could take from a couple of days to a couple of weeks in some cases even longer.

Where as if it’s an adult that has been in the same setup for years it would indicate that something else was inhibiting their appetite.

I shortened this a lot as it was too long and no one would heave read all of it lol there are many questions that need to be asked have tried to include the basic ones.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
A quality post.

Now I wonder if people will take any notice....

Reactions: 53bird

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
A quality post.

Now I wonder if people will take any notice....
Clearly not.........

Back to 'my gecko hasn't eaten/pooped/moved from its moist hide' in three days posts.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I did a thread like this before, was a template for all species though... Had a few comments saying what I could add, which I did then it died :lol2:
Great post, hopefully it is used and you didn't go through the effort for nothing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well obviously, I'd say everything in here but it's in the thread I made.

I'm going to try lino and obtain a heat mat (going to try and mimic the image of the tank in the first post) and see how that goes. I'll reply back if any changes or no changes happen :)

And sorry for not seeing this before. The search function didn't really uhm, help much. But thanks for pointing this out to me, Big Red One.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Reptoboost is also good at triggering appetite and should be in all keepers homes IMO:2thumb:

Very good thread - read and do!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Hi,

I've got a thread with lots of tags on it for newbie gecko owners.
I will link this in with my first post in that thread so it can get picked up there as well.
Good information there mostly things i already knew thanks to these forums and my own research but i want to help where i can.

Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rather than posting a new thread I'll post in here instead!

My Leo has always been a funny eater, sometimes she'll eat every day others she won't eat for 2 weeks or so. I'm starting to get a bit worried now as it's been nearly a month and she still doesn't seem interested in food. I've been feeding her wax worms which my local pet store said was a good food but after reading here it seems like they are only meant for a treat!

Right I'll start with the viv,

It's 3ft long x 1.5ft wide x 1.5ft high
Using a heat mat that covers just under half of the sloor space adn I'm using kitchen roll for substrate (I do have repti carpet but I don't want to put that in until she's eating again)

Using a Habistat pulse stat with temps around 32c this is measured with a digital thermometer with the probe placed on the floor of the warm end.

3 hides, moist hide in the middle and hot/cold hides either end of the viv.

Only other things I have are a water bowl and a bottle cap of calcium.
Only one female lives in it.

No pictures yet, will get some if needed.

I've had her since November 2009 I'm not sure how old she was when I picked her up but she was very young.

She weighs 84g and she doesn't seem to have lost any weight

Nothing in her viv has changed for around a year.

Should I get her to the vets or try feeding her locusts again?

Many thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Giving thread a bump because I think it's a good idea.
:2thumb::2thumb::2thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts