Reptile Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so let me explain

ive just got my first bearded dragon yesterday. she is limp and missing one back leg so i adopted her. Ive allready done my investigation towards how to take care for theese animals but i dont want to screw up.

She had been living at the pet store for around a year and according to the manager she is considered an adult already. She moved into my enclosure yesterday and the first cocroach i gave her she ate it, but she wouldnt eat the second (according to the manager she ate around 3 when it was a live insect feeding day). today i decided to prepare her a salad: Canons,Carrots,Bell pepper and Zucchini. At first i would lay the small plate there but she wouldnt aproach so i took my tonsles and gave her a piece of Zucchini wich she ate. But just like the cocroach, she wouldnt eat any more!

Im worried and i dont know if i should be or not. She is also pretty scared of me and to be honest that makes me scared of her too. Ive only handled her twice, first time was yesterday and she was nervous and today she pissed on my hand out of what i believe is fear.

So please. Does she not eat because she is in a new enviroment? should i give it some days and see what happens? Is she affraid because im also nervous? help!

I think it might be relocation stress too, but im starting to think it might be a temperature problem.
the thing is that ive bought two thermometres (made for aquariums so i dont know how precise they can be) and the cold side says to be around 26º celcius and the hot side around 30º celcius (on the top of the branch being the spot where she should bask its around 36º celcius.) im worried this might still be too cold or maybe even to hot because according to the guy at the store all she needed was a heat bulb. at the right i have a heat bulb and a thermic mat placed against the side warming it all up.Also the top of my terrarium is sort of hand made so i cut a little hole under the heat bulb so the heat would get sucked in by the metal wire. its not inside the terrarium but it is aligned with the top. is this safe? and more important, is the heat enough? please answer asap.

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Hi, so let me explain

ive just got my first bearded dragon yesterday. she is limp and missing one back leg so i adopted her. Ive allready done my investigation towards how to take care for theese animals but i dont want to screw up.

She had been living at the pet store for around a year and according to the manager she is considered an adult already. She moved into my enclosure yesterday and the first cocroach i gave her she ate it, but she wouldnt eat the second (according to the manager she ate around 3 when it was a live insect feeding day). today i decided to prepare her a salad: Canons,Carrots,Bell pepper and Zucchini. At first i would lay the small plate there but she wouldnt aproach so i took my tonsles and gave her a piece of Zucchini wich she ate. But just like the cocroach, she wouldnt eat any more!

Im worried and i dont know if i should be or not. She is also pretty scared of me and to be honest that makes me scared of her too. Ive only handled her twice, first time was yesterday and she was nervous and today she pissed on my hand out of what i believe is fear.

So please. Does she not eat because she is in a new enviroment? should i give it some days and see what happens? Is she affraid because im also nervous? help!

I think it might be relocation stress too, but im starting to think it might be a temperature problem.
the thing is that ive bought two thermometres (made for aquariums so i dont know how precise they can be) and the cold side says to be around 26º celcius and the hot side around 30º celcius (on the top of the branch being the spot where she should bask its around 36º celcius.) im worried this might still be too cold or maybe even to hot because according to the guy at the store all she needed was a heat bulb. at the right i have a heat bulb and a thermic mat placed against the side warming it all up.Also the top of my terrarium is sort of hand made so i cut a little hole under the heat bulb so the heat would get sucked in by the metal wire. its not inside the terrarium but it is aligned with the top. is this safe? and more important, is the heat enough? please answer asap.

Hi, congrats on your BD, don’t panic, they are pretty resilient.
I do think you are correct that it could be in part relocation stress and she will come around from it.

We can help you sort your temperature issue out.
Are the aquarium thermometers (sticky ones?) or dial gauge ones. Imo you would be best off buying a good quality digitital thermometer, there is some on ebay very cheap for a few quid with fast delivery services. This would be much better than what you currently have.

When your thermometer arrives you want to place the probe directly underneath the basking lamp to monitor temperatures. Ideally some rocks or slate tiles would be a preference under your basking spot.

For the time being I can relate what I know from experience.
A 60w R80 lamp distanced 10” from the back of the animal at the basking point will acheive a perfect basking temperature for a BD, 40c plus, but you should be monitoring with a thermometer when possible. Your dragons cooler end can drop to low 20c readings so he/she can thermoregulate. I would not personally bother with the heat mat myself, it wont really be doing very much. They are real sunlovers so high UV and white light working to provide heat and light is what you need to aim for.

I would leave your dragon alone for a period of time to adjust and settle into the new enviroment and for now, maybe just offer a dish of salad to graze on if she gets hungry. Too much fuss at ine time can definitely inhibit feeding.

As far as feeding salad goes I would aim for more leafy greens in the diet.
Some good choices may include.

Spring greens
Rocket
Raddish leaves
Water Cress
Dandelion leaves (pick from areas that have not been sprayed with anything)
Cabbages.
And a variety if mixed salad packs should get you started.

You can then use your root veggies like bell peppers, zuccini chopped up to supplement the veggy dish.

If your dragon does not eat for a dew days don’t worry, I have known them not to eat a thing for some months in some cases but I think your temperatures could be sorted.

If you have a read of this care guide also by Azastral it may help you run down some checks on other aspects in your husbandry.

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/1105953-basic-guide-keeping-bearded-dragon.html

Also I took the liberty of attatching a link to some digital thermometers on Ebay, they are basic, but work well enough for me I have found, obviously the fancier you get and the more quality you want the more money you pay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digi...hash=item3d6b2c4974:m:m1ns_4xRPd24viNOM2cKpZA

Another good peice of kit of the reptile keeper is a temperature gun, merely pointing it at a specific surface will give you readings, this would be helpful to check your thermometer is working properly now and again too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld...435613&hash=item212b0d86d6:g:DEsAAOSwKoFa6VIo

Good luck and feel free to ask if your not sure of anything else in the mean time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts