Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into [email protected] and asked to see them. Well I fell in love with them when I saw them! Couldn't choose between the two of them so had to have them both :D

Can anyone tell me what morphs they are?

Echo (named because daughter can't say Gecko. lol )

Cocoa (as is goes a dark chocolate colour sometimes.)

I know people say to leave them for a month before handling them, but they absolutely love being handled. Echo won't get off me sometimes when i go to put her/him back.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I went into [email protected] and asked to see them. Well I fell in love with them when I saw them! Couldn't choose between the two of them so had to have them both :D

Can anyone tell me what morphs they are?

Echo (named because daughter can't say Gecko. lol )

Cocoa (as is goes a dark chocolate colour sometimes.)

I know people say to leave them for a month before handling them, but they absolutely love being handled. Echo won't get off me sometimes when i go to put her/him back.
First one looks like a fired down harlequin with some dalmatian spots
Second one looks like a chocolate plain with portholes.
Can you get a photo of the top one standing flat with tail outstretched please, that dimple at the base of the tail looks slightly bad :hmm:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it comes out from hiding I'll take a photo. What dimple are you on about? It did have it's tail wrapped around my finger. Quite likes doing that. And yeah, It's got some black and red spots on its back.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
When it comes out from hiding I'll take a photo. What dimple are you on about? It did have it's tail wrapped around my finger. Quite likes doing that. And yeah, It's got some black and red spots on its back.
It might be the position of the gecko but please do get a photo when you can.
The dimple I'm on about is just before the tail, see how the spine is going straight then goes into a sharp decline? It looks a bit more exaggerated than normal which could be the position or floppy tail syndrome...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, We came out of hiding for some pictures

What does it mean if S/He has floppy tail syndrome?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Right, We came out of hiding for some pictures

What does it mean if S/He has floppy tail syndrome?
In the last picture the hips do look warped but it might be the flash or something. I would wait for someone else to agree/disagree with me on this as i'm not 100%.
However I can explain what floppy tail syndrome is just incase:

In captivity crested geckos seem to get the habit of sleeping vertically (normally on the glass of the tank) and upside down. The weight of the tail then warps the hips and destroys muscle tissue at the base of the tail, this means the muscles at the base of the tail become too weak to support the tail so it 'hangs' down over the crestie back, if it's allowed to continue it will warp the hips, sometimes quite severely.
It's not treatable but the progression can be halted by providing a lot of fake plants stuck to the side of the vivarium, this supports the tail while sleeping upside down. It's not known fully yet whether it's due to their lineage, making them have weak hips/muscles meaning they're more susceptible to the condition or if it's environmental from not having support for the tail or a mix of both.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hi, I can see what Chris means. The first pictures of each gecko did look a little thin at the back end, but the dimple could possibly just be a little dehydration.

This picture in particular looks a little twisted. But its likely just be the leg placement of the gecko in the picture. Best bet, take some pictures of the gecko with both feet inline (If you can). I wouldn't like to say judging from these pictures alone, its easy to spot if you see it in person (or gecko in the case :D )

But don't worry about it! Take a few more pictures, and if things look bad in the others there's plenty of people here to offer advice.

: victory:

Note:

I would hate to worry you by flooding this thread with speculation of illnesses before you know for certain. I can always give you a little more information on MBD and FTS if you are concerned, so feel free to PM me.

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
1st one does look as though the hips could be twisted. 2nd one is stunning!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Gorgeous looking cresties!!
Its awesome when you first get these lil uns, your 2 look great n in gd health, dont get upset about the possibility of tail syndrome, it just means the lil guy needs more loving, n has his own unique personality. Do your best for them :2thumb:

he actually looks fine to me but im no expert

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
How are they getting on. I should guess they have put a little weight on now :D

Did you manage to get other pictures of the possible FTS? Hope they are both doing great!!: victory:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cocoa is doing really well. Unfortunately i took Ecko back as in my other thread we established it had a twisted pelvis. :( but I bought 2 others instead from a local breeder.

Don't worry, theyre all in quarentine now. Looks like cocoa is turning out to be a girl. But I'm no sexpert :D

I'll get some pictures tonight of the new additions.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Oh brilliant!

I am sorry to hear about Echo, didn't realise you had posted up another thread! "note to self; be more active on the forums" lol

Well all the best with them! look forward to seeing some pictures

: victory:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts