Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally got one today its 6 weeks old pics not the best as i didnt want to handle him too much before hes settled in,ive got a book but any advice from experianced keepers will be helpful

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
They don't particularly like to be handled.Do it only when necessary.
As long as you provide low temps (under 80°F during the day),mist the cage at least every evening,and feed this juvenile every day with dusted appropriate size crickets and fruit (baby mashes) ,it should be ok.If you have more precise questions,please ask. :wink:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thorrshamri said:
They don't particularly like to be handled.Do it only when necessary.
As long as you provide low temps (under 80°F during the day),mist the cage at least every evening,and feed this juvenile every day with dusted appropriate size crickets and fruit (baby mashes) ,it should be ok.If you have more precise questions,please ask. :wink:
the shop i got him from advised me to use only a heat mat,,no basking bulbs required,they said if u want a light for viewing use an arcadia compact set,although uv, its not clear wether they need uv as there nocturnal but the shop said it wouldnt do it any harm,they also advised to put orchid bark as substrate,but the worst thing is there were alll the baby cresties in the tank and in the bottom there was 2 poison arrow frogs,surely they cant co exist

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
mike mc said:
the shop i got him from advised me to use only a heat mat,,no basking bulbs required(1) ,they said if u want a light for viewing use an arcadia compact set,although uv, its not clear wether they need uv as there nocturnal but the shop said it wouldnt do it any harm(2),they also advised to put orchid bark as substrate(3),but the worst thing is there were alll the baby cresties in the tank and in the bottom there was 2 poison arrow frogs,surely they cant co exist
(1) This is pure nonsense.They are arboreal,so heating from the ground is illogical.I only use dark "Night Glo" bulbs with them,and it has been fine for years i have been keeping this species.

(2) True.In the rainforest during the day,they receive a non-negligible amount of UV radiations.Personally speaking,i use 5% UVB neon lights with a good output in UVA too.

(3) Orchid bark is crap,as the crickets will hide in it.What i use is a mixture of fine sand ,turf,and wet coco mould,covered up with a layer of forest moss,permanently kept SLIGHTLY moist.

(4)Poison arrow frogs do not require the same settings,they come from Amazonia whereas cresties are from New Caledonia near australia,i would be afraid the toxines of the frogs would kill the cresties and some diseases would pass from one species to the other.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i queried him about the arrow frogs and he said they were cb so theres no toxin.so will i be ok with just a heat mat or what else do i need to get

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
mike mc said:
well i queried him about the arrow frogs and he said they were cb so theres no toxin.so will i be ok with just a heat mat or what else do i need to get
He was wrong,toxins are much weaker but still exist in CB poison frogs,i believe them to be strong enough to kill a crestie.

Why not fixing your heat mat vertically under the vertical back pane of your tank?It would be much better for the animals.Also,as i pointed out,a warm spot like Night Glo bulbs (15 or 25W) would be a good point.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
think they are still slightly toxic..is true they are not lethal or even close to it but they have a natural toxin. in the wild they develop the killer toxin from the ants that are their natural prey.

you could stick the heat mat to the side of the viv to create proportional heat...thor is right they are aboreal and heating from the floor is kinda backward. either fix heat mats to the side or get a low wattage night bulb to provide some heat. be careful they dont walk down the lead to it though..some people use a cage to prevent this from happening.

very cute by the way..careful he/she doesn't spend too much time upside down as their tales can droop! bless em!! :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i was to buy one of the exo terra night glo bulbs 15w,,would it have to be thermostatted even though its such a low output

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thorrshamri said:
No,I don't think you will need to,and incandescent bulbs need special stats,otherwise they usually live very short :lol:
ok thanks mate

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
am i right in saying this is a harlequin morph

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im gonna buy the bulb today will it need a guard,,im guessing it will

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mike.

Glad you got your baby!

We moved round our guy's set up the other day and he seems more active. We taped the heat mat to the side of the viv and he likes this. we have a low wattage bulb in the tank in the day.

A feeding tip that seems to work for us... use a garlic crusher to puree the fruit - works a treat.

regards

ric

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ricmac said:
Mike.

Glad you got your baby!

We moved round our guy's set up the other day and he seems more active. We taped the heat mat to the side of the viv and he likes this. we have a low wattage bulb in the tank in the day.

A feeding tip that seems to work for us... use a garlic crusher to puree the fruit - works a treat.

regards

ric
cheers mate,,do u have a guard on your low wattage bulb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts