Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I put more hides because he is like drop in the ocean and maybe i change the screen with something like plastic or glass to keep more humidity and temperature in the cold days and for protection of his head and body... a standard setup because i want to clean fast i think about bioactive but im afraid of the plant illnesses at 60 70 humidity all the time.. What you think? I didn't post the other photos of the project i think is very simple to make it osb 18 wood with a pet friendly water soluble varnish

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I'm not that great when it comes to flags, so have no idea of your location, but if you are in warm country where the ambient air temps don't drop below 27c at night then you should be OK. Otherwise would still use a ceramic (guarded) on a pulse proportional or dimmer stat. If your daytime temp exceeds 32c then the thermostat will cut off anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not that great when it comes to flags, so have no idea of your location, but if you are in warm country where the ambient air temps don't drop below 27c at night then you should be OK. Otherwise would still use a ceramic (guarded) on a pulse proportional or dimmer stat. If your daytime temp exceeds 32c then the thermostat will cut off anyway.
Yes at this time sure don't drop below from september i must see it again.. We have a lot humidity in greece so i think both emiter with a pulse thermostat and the heat mat with mat stat

·
Registered
567 Posts
Looking at the picture and the size of the boa I would suggest adding another hide - put one on top of theatmat and the other on the colder side ...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at the picture and the size of the boa I would suggest adding another hide - put one on top of theatmat and the other on the colder side ...
Yes i i have three of cork bark 2 small one big in the middle and now i put 3 more and tge bowl that have holes and go for sheddings i haven t it at photo i see then that he is small enough for this hides but i see him all the morning at bamboo and at night on the ground... now i want put out the screen and find something like plexiglass to keep better the humidity and temperature.. Now i do a check to see what is better

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Then a mat is completely wrong. Heavy bodied snakes are at sig ificant risk of burns as they will lay on the mat to get warm, but their body mass means that they burn.
Mats so do not warm the air. They are contact heaters.
You should be looking to use a ceramic heater on a dimming stat. This will warm the air, and provide the correct environment.
It is quite difficult for us in the UK to advise how to keep in a country like Greece with a hotter and drier climate but the care needs of the snake are the same.
Mat, no.
Ceramic on a pulse or dimming stat, yes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then a mat is completely wrong. Heavy bodied snakes are at sig ificant risk of burns as they will lay on the mat to get warm, but their body mass means that they burn.
Mats so do not warm the air. They are contact heaters.
You should be looking to use a ceramic heater on a dimming stat. This will warm the air, and provide the correct environment.
It is quite difficult for us in the UK to advise how to keep in a country like Greece with a hotter and drier climate but the care needs of the snake are the same.
Mat, no.
Ceramic on a pulse or dimming stat, yes.
Ok i understand i don t know it about the heavy body snakes.. The climate isn't t so much problem it's a controlled environment i do a test with no screen and with plexiglass at the holes is more easy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not slamming on you at all, but did you research basic husbandry and needs for boas? That setup is all wrong in a couple different ways. Please research a little more, for the snakes sake. I can answer any questions you might have if you need me to, just ask.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not slamming on you at all, but did you research basic husbandry and needs for boas? That setup is all wrong in a couple different ways. Please research a little more, for the snakes sake. I can answer any questions you might have if you need me to, just ask.
Yes i read a lot, the only that i haven't read is about heating that the heavy body snakes want ceramic or heat panel as a heat source so in the end of the month that i have to clean the cage i change heat source with a ceramic bulb and i haven't all of the setup at the photos that i post and i do some changes ... This is a final size terrarium for a baby boa i can separate it in the middle and use the half for less "stress" but i prefer to do it with more hides and i see no different habits of the animal,i have 32 degrees at hot side on the bottom with thermostat and 29 at cold side, at night cold side be at 27 28 and humidity 50 60 and is better with plexiglass than screen i have change it, i have 3 hides at cold 3 hides at hot side and one big in the middle (to feel more safety) and 2 bamboo wood for more exploring all was sterile some from oven and some with bleach method and herp easy for substrate the best for me is to make bioactive setup but i didn't think it until i make it but when i see it i prefer this factory setup because you can keep it always clean and sterile... so from your opinion what can i change?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
When you think that not an insignificant number of people keep boas in RUBS and racks all their lives, I don't think it's a terrible set up.

Reactions: jacksp

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you think that not an insignificant number of people keep boas in RUBS and racks all their lives, I don't think it's a terrible set up.
I think of this sometimes about the space of all of captive animal wants, and i think that even a mourning gecko have a whole room with a lot of hides and right temperature and humidity can live a very nice life..sure i don' t believe that this animals wants specific enclosure sizes if you can create something bigger and you can provide the needs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts