Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday, i got a pair of young (unsexed) garter snakes. i left them overnight to settle in the boxes that that were used in transport, because they had been moved once already, and endured a train and bus journey. (and they ate ealier yesterday)

anyway, i spent some of today, and some of yesterday setting up the viv, and i finished about 30mins ago, so i introduced them to their new home.

they both went straight for the largewater area, and started drinking. they have had a small bowl with them overnight, but evidently they prefer a bigger "pond".

after a drink, they swam for a bit, getting themselves thoughrouly wet, and then emerged to see their new home. theey are currently still having a wander around, poking their little heads in every crevice.

enjoy :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, they're gorgeous.
Can they co-exist with each other then?

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
ahhhh wee sweeties

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
nice little viv aswell, whats that moss your using??? also NICE snakes

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
cheers dru, and snake lover :)

i put in a (brand new AND un-used) paint tray (for rollers) that is the same width as the viv(was acutally 2cm bigger but i cut off the lip) and in the resavoir tray, there is water, and on the rolly bit, damp spungham(sp) moss, the other half of the viv is sterile potting soil. there is a cork hide, and the pot they had before comming to me (to make them feel at home)

and garter snakes can live together, in the wild they co-exist happily, and hibernate in their hunderds together.

as they grow they will need a bigger viv, but this should last around a year for them.:D

may i add that i have made a wire mesh surround, because their is a funny shaped bottom to the tray, and they would hide there, and i would have to lift it out every time i wanted to see them :p

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
very clever,simple, and it looks great.:thumb:

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Brilliant little snakes !! and love their set up, I have 3 plains garters and luv em to bits, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine !

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brilliant little snakes !! and love their set up, I have 3 plains garters and luv em to bits, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine !
think i already am. they have been here for 36 hours ish, and i have seen more activity from these that i have from any oof my otheres in the months that i have had them.

they currenly eat lancfish, i have a blister pack of them. do i need to boil them before feeding to reduce the number of/ remove parasited, and what is the nutrition infish compared with pinkies, because i might change them over, but i am not sure whever to or not, opinions please.

thanks
Dan

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fantastic pictures.
cheers :)

in some of the earlier ones, the are drinking, hardly ever see it in my others, and if they know i am there they stop instantly, but these are active, bold, and very handlable, when i moved them over, i got them out, and they just started looking around, and going up my arm (petshop said they had never been handled, and they bred them) i would reccomened them to anyone, they are easy to set up aswell. the only downside is the speed, they wwwhhhhooooooosssshhhhhhhh around the viv :d:D:D:D

cant wait to feed tehm actually

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
If the lance fish is frozen, that process will have killed the parasites, so no need to boil, mine are on pinks, appart from one that was brought up on earthworms and fish, due to someone who desperatly wanted one, but was not allowed anything that ate mice, then they decided they were not going to have her so I am weaning her back on to pinks. I now that if fed soely on fish they can suffer a thiamin (spelt wrong i think) deficiancy and suffer fits and death, so offering pinks is an alternitive, as is earth worms ect.
this is a great garter site, and answered a lot of my questions when I first got mine (I had 14 non feeders !!)

Garter Snake Home Page - Alan Francis

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cheers wohic.
will i need to do anything to the earthworms that congregate in mygarden, or are they safe to dig up and feed. what about other foods, waxies, or pachnoda lavae, i got some of these the otherday as a food, but there too big for my WD, so was going to hatch them

1 - 20 of 24 Posts