Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im considering getting another snake, i have 2 corns and a male royal, i was considering a female royal until i found out they were picky eaters, i have seen green tree pythons and i really want one, i know they arn't the tamest and they don't enjoy being taken off their pirch and they have big fangs ( :( )
but really want one, if you don't think this is the best snake for me please suggest one. Btw - i have been keeping snakes for 2 years and i am 14

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Sorry to thread hike, but are female royasl ,more pickier feeders, i thought males were as of looking for mates in winter etc.
About GTP's they are about £300, but another arboreal snake, have you considered IJCPs?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive seen how big carpet pythons can grow, havn't really considered it

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
IJCPs normally get about 4-6 ft, so youd need a 4x2x2ft viv, what are you guidelines, i.e. collubrids or python/boa size etc.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
id say go for a carpet they are great easy to care for are very pretty snakes tend to perch alot being semi arboreal and all and ideal training for a gtp

i had a carpet but sadly she died but she was a great snake for the short time i had her and would deffinately suggest them to any1

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Female Royals are no more fussy than males, i dunno who told you that!

I don't think a GTP is a good move for you right now, as they are a lot more difficult to keep than Corns and Royals, Go for an Irian Jaya Carpet Python, much easier to keep and a manageable size.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
id say go for a carpet they are great easy to care for are very pretty snakes tend to perch alot being semi arboreal and all and ideal training for a gtp

i had a carpet but sadly she died but she was a great snake for the short time i had her and would deffinately suggest them to any1

Does anyone have pics of Carpet pythons? i don't think i would be allowed one due to it being to big, i only convinced them to get me a royal because its a baby and i said it will grow to about 4 ft but they dont know it will grow fat lol.

are jcp's or cp's venomous?

·
Registered
8,045 Posts

I don't think a GTP is a good move for you right now, as they are a lot more difficult to keep than Corns and Royals, Go for an Irian Jaya Carpet Python, much easier to keep and a manageable size.
If the OP would give us some guide lines it would help. I dont know what you meant by 'ive seen how big carpets can grow' coastals get very big adn jungles get relatively big but ijcps are popular with looks and size.
They are pythons therefore not venemous as they are constrictors.

Thats an Irian Jaya Carpet python (a.k.a ijcp)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I didn't mean females were more picky i meant all royals are :p

pics of carpet pythons plz

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
I didn't mean females were more picky i meant all royals are :p

pics of carpet pythons plz
You already have a Royal though, so should know what they are like.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You already have a Royal though, so should know what they are like.
Carpet pythons? yea i know, but, i just wanna see their structure etc..

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
If youd have read my post, youd see pics. btw if you didnt know royals wer epicky eaters which is pretty basic, i would make sure you research adn are ready for another snake, i gto my first snake in march 07 now in september ill be getting my second snake , so sometimes its good to hold back.
btw youngy what wrecexotics is saying i t hink is that, you should have known royals were picky eaters before you got it, correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If youd have read my post, youd see pics. btw if you didnt know royals wer epicky eaters which is pretty basic, i would make sure you research adn are ready for another snake, i gto my first snake in march 07 now in september ill be getting my second snake , so sometimes its good to hold back.
I said royals were picky eaters? and i always do my research before getting another snake, unless it is the same kind that i already have

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
to be honest I'd stick with what you've got for a while. I would be happy with that! Royals are great and the feeding thing isnt too bad, just comes with a royal! My boyfriend wanted a GTP but they can be nasty and are mostly display snakes and it sounds like you want tosmething interactive (correct me if im wrong!) Have a read of lots of caresheets and see what matches the conditions you can offer, the time you can offer and the personality, thats quite a good way of doing it. Also means you can see what gets big and what doesnt(think you put you dont want anything to big)
good luck!

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
Irian Jayas are good snakes to work with - they are very docile and a 6footer would be a very big IJ. They are much easier to care for than GTP's and a lot easier to handle.

Baby GTP's are very delicate and not really a good snake to handle - you can damage them much more easily. IJ's are much more robust.

The price difference between the two is huge. I have seen IJ's for between 75 and 150. GTP's are usually around 350 - 400 but that also depends on the locality - some are much more expensive.

I have kept both and still have GTP's and if you get the setups right from the start they are not as difficult as people think - But Irian Jayas are going to be much more tolerant in terms of set up.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
to be honest I'd stick with what you've got for a while. I would be happy with that! Royals are great and the feeding thing isnt too bad, just comes with a royal! My boyfriend wanted a GTP but they can be nasty and are mostly display snakes and it sounds like you want tosmething interactive (correct me if im wrong!) Have a read of lots of caresheets and see what matches the conditions you can offer, the time you can offer and the personality, thats quite a good way of doing it. Also means you can see what gets big and what doesnt(think you put you dont want anything to big)
good luck!
Yea, i do want one that i can interact with well and handle, but not to big like a cp, any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
:lol2: I meant: You already have a Royal Python so you should know their eating habits, unless you have had trouble with the one you have, why listen to someone telling you they are fussy feeders?

Keep your eye on the forums and find a snake that you believe you will be allowed and you can manage, then research it as much as possible.

What sort of snake do you really want?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
If the OP would give us some guide lines it would help. I dont know what you meant by 'ive seen how big carpets can grow' coastals get very big adn jungles get relatively big but ijcps are popular with looks and size.
They are pythons therefore not venemous as they are constrictors.

Thats an Irian Jaya Carpet python (a.k.a ijcp)
I want one of these myself:mf_dribble::mf_dribble:

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
As others i would stick with what youve got, but if your certain youve gto the money toprovide for a new snake, time , space , experience, etc. Then what are your guideliens for what you want?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:lol2: I meant: You already have a Royal Python so you should know their eating habits, unless you have had trouble with the one you have, why listen to someone telling you they are fussy feeders?

Keep your eye on the forums and find a snake that you believe you will be allowed and you can manage, then research it as much as possible.

What sort of snake do you really want?
I want a snake like a ball pythons size at adult size, just something different to everybody else

1 - 20 of 29 Posts