Reptile Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
sorry to hear that.
persevearence(sp) is the key, use gloves to handle if need be.
On the rare occasion that a corn will bite wont hurt anyway.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
My snake dreams are usually that my hatchlings are all weird and wonderful colours and patterns. I am phobic about spiders though, and Hannah is trying to persuade me to get one as she doesnt like them either, but wants to be able to handle them for when she does her work experience at the vets (he does exotics) next July. Resisting so far, but maybe I should face my fear too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
before getting my two i kept having horrible dreams about losing them and going on some crazy scary adventure trying to find them, size changing and them attacking me etc.. all the usual stuff. but when you can realise its just a dream its fine.

ive always loved snakes and never considered myself fearful of them, but theres always that bit of built in survival instinct in your brain that takes a lil while to over-ride lol

i didnt think id have any prob picking them up for the first time alone, but when i did need to (to change some substrate after she pooped inside her hot hide after only 7hrs of being with me lol) i was poopin bricks haha felt so silly!! poor lil corn who was blatently scared :censor:less, vs me, a maaaaasssive fat lady with hands 20x the size of his head and probs excreting gallons of fear chemicals in her general direction haha

i was fine after the first time though, put a cloth over my hand to make initial contact then just grabbed her, gently of course lol not as scary as my survival instinct tried to make me think.

just gotta feel the fear and do it anyway : victory:
plus i figure a bite from a corn cant be any worse than a demon hamster.. now that is something to be afraid of haha

or a horse... now that really did hurt!

good on you for facing your fears! and wish you the best of luck with your new snake, just gotta stick at it and work through it and remember theyre probs so much more scared of you than you are of them.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I had a dream about a black and white talking python that was graffiti-ing her viv. lol

Keep cracking on at it, it's only a corn snake you say? sure you'll be alright :)
hahaha that if fu**ing funny...

To the OP i also had a fear of snakes (for 30 years) and have now had our royal and i love him to bits. Even if i had a bad dream i would still keep doing what im doing cause by getting the snake and keeping it for as long as you have you have already got over the fear...

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't think it was the best idea to buy something your scared of, you could have faced your fears in other ways without having one yourself. What if the snake has a bad shed or needs to be checked over for some reason? Or if you get too scared to change its water or anything like that?
Or do you have somebody to do it all for you?
Just my opinion, don't wish to offend you :)

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
I think it's great you're trying to face your fears but I hope people in the same boat don't take the praise of you doing so as a reason to buy a snake. It's commendable that you are facing them (although letting the OH take over feeding isn't really facing them lol), but it's not something I would recommend to others. True phobics wouldn't have switched their minds so easily, I am an arachnophobe and while I've held a tarantula I would never bring one into my home - not because I am scared but because to do so would be unfair on the animal. What would happen if I failed to overcome the fear or neglected its care because I was having an off day?

Best of luck - hope you're just a wuss and not a true snake phobic for your snake's sake lol.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Holy cow i feel like a real muppet now..wonder if the OP ever got over there fear of snakes...ha ha ha

·
Registered
20,002 Posts
Why did you buy a snake fi you are scared of them?

Anyway its only a dream, im sure that your snake is more scared of you. just relax and dont make sudden movements and you will have nothing to worry about :)

Lol you would be amazed of how many arachnophobic people keep tarantula's. i guess its the same with snakes.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i have a huge fear of spiders and lifts and its not as easy as hold them daily, or it was jst a dream, ur heart races everytime u go near one, ur hands get all hot and sweaty u feel like ur gonna throw up and no matter how hard u try u cant bring ur self to go near it,
All i can say is take it slow and steady, sit with her in a tub on ur lap then wen u feel alittle more confident then open the lid and put ur hand slowy near the tub (have sum1 at hand to catch her if she decides to make a run for it) let her come to u, then build up to her coming out of the tub onto ur hand but still have sum1 there to take her if u feel the need, if u take it slow and trust urself to over come ur fear then u will, gd luck for the future

·
Registered
655 Posts
two nights ago i dreamt i was bitten by dwa snake dont know what it was and my hand turned black and couldnt lift it or nothing. woke up i was sleeping on my hand. lol

21 - 37 of 37 Posts