Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, and I used to think I was quite good at getting animals to eat their greens!
I put greens in to keep the snails in the food bowl but it always left over once they've polished off l'escargot!
So, does anyone have any tips? Or a similar story? What veg works for yours? Is it just an age thing as they're only 6 months old?

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
the trick that worked for me with my beardie was what some people call cruelty but i say you have to be cruel to be kind?

i dont feed them any food for say a week but everyday leave a bowl of greens in there i always found that they would start to eat more and more greens each day?

and the greens that always worked for me are normally herbs try basil tyme and parsley i think they like the flavours?

but the overally winner for me is rocket my beardie goes mad for it he will eat the rocket out the bowl first and then leave the rest and then come back to it later
hope this helps and good luck

·
Premier Citizen
2,464 Posts
The trick is do not treat them like Beardies and other skinks like blue tongues! as in the wild they come from a totally different enviroment (wooded and forest) and they feed almost exclusively on snails and slugs! I used to have quite a few of them years ago and kept and bred them for ages, you can offer them some veg but they may not take it at all!
I used to get loads of snails and slugs from the garden and put them in a big tank with loads of veg and cuttlebone in and leave them for a good week or so! then all the stuff they ate outside would pass through their gut and internal system and leave it clean and flushed through,
also you can give them some types of tinned fish flavoured catfood but not to much, you can mix bits of diced up veg in this also!
I used to make up a mix of fresh lean beef mince and mix it with a raw egg so it looks a bit like a sort of slimy snaily mixture and add a bit of veg to that also, but if they dont eat veg dont worry as they can live on snails and slugs alone!, mine lived for years like this!.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou both for the input! They're fine with GAL baby snails and a bit of catfood but veg seems not to interest them. I've heard of people feeding them mince with cuttlefish also.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
My PTS feed pretty much exclusively on a diet of snail, raw/chopped beef/mince, catfood & chopped chicken/turkey, occaisionally they'll eat a bit of prawn or scrambled egg, they are not particularly inclined to eat any greens although i have seen several referencesthatthey may occaisonally eat sweet fruits such as melon or banana, I've tried the odd time with fruit but apart from the odd lick it gets left alone.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've got 3 pink tongue skinks and they will never eat veg mate. Mine only eat snails, some catfood and the occasional pinkie waxworm. I've had one of the 3 for 5 years fed like this and she's healthy the other for 2 years and i have one youngster that will only eat snails. The zoomed can o snails is pretty good if you cant get hold of live ones only downside is they have no shells

·
Registered
302 Posts
PTS not a veggie lover?

Mine 6 dont seem to eat veg either.

Mine are fed on live snails/slugs (bred by myself so no parasites)
Raw lean mince beef
cat food (beef pate)
raw quail eggs
and sweet soft fruit like banana, mango and grapes.

I try to alernate food types, but they go wild for snails.

Mine dont seem to like live foods, they just seem to play with them, tried fruit beetle lavae, wax worms and stick insect nymphs.

They will be fine on snails alone, just make sure you dust them, or feed plenty of cuttlefish to the snails beforehand.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I go along with what the others have said. Pink tongues, in my view, don't need to eat veg or fruit directly. In the wild of course,they eat a wide variety of such foods, its just in the stomachs of the slugs and snails! I have had success with mixing very finely chopped dandelions, banana, apple, peas etc with chopped snail 'slurry', dog food or raw egg, but to be honest, I don't bother with this very often...

Mark.

ps. Its so good to see so many pink tongue keepers on here! My adult male has woken up from brumation and is going mental at the moment. I've never seen such an active pink tongue. The females are still keeping their heads down for now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.