Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little chihuahua is due her second jab next friday, but I've noticed this week that she scratches one of her ears a hell of a lot and it doesnt smell nice at all. I wiped the exposed bit of her ear with a cotton bud and its really brown and dirty. I didn't put the bud inside her ear, just around the outside bit.
Can I buy an ear cleaner and use it to clean it or should I just take her to the vet incase of infection? She also squeals when she scratches it but it could be her nails where she is scratching it too much.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Sounds like it could be mites, so I'd go to the vets to be honest. You can clean deeper if you use a cotton wool ball to get deeper into the ear without risk of doing any damage. I wouldn't go inside any of my animals ears with a cotton bud, to be honest, one twitch and you could do some damage.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah alright then, I'll stay away from the buds to be safe. I thought it could be mites as well, my other two have never had them though so not really experienced them before. I'll see what the vet says and get some cleaner from them. Cheers guys.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Skye had exactly the same when we brought him home. I cleaned his ears, but they looked very red and inflamed inside, so we went to the vet and got the treatment. They cleared up and we've never had a re-occurrence in the 3 years since. :2thumb:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Molly had the same a few Weeks ago, I thought it might have been mites but if u google it it.ll say infections r commonly self diagnosed and mistreated, and the vet said the same, the vet gave us a cleaner and ear drops.4 the infection, it was a battle getting them in but it cleared up in days.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I can imagine I would probably make it worse if I tried treating it! Gonna take her to our vet and see what she says. Luckily my puppy is still young so hasn't learned that people prodding you about usually means drops/tablets/injections of some sort lol. She is really good, she had a sore eye recently so I bathed it and she sat still the whole time and was practically falling to sleep! Made it so much easier and she's fine now.
Hopefully her ear is something simple like mites, should clear up quick with treatment as you say.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry I was ment to type most infections are misdiagnosed as mites when its just an infection, I think you can see mites, but they transfere to other dogs very easily so just keep an eye on the others

1 - 8 of 8 Posts