Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 1-year-old rankins dragon for a few weeks now. He is happy and friendly, loves his crickets and superworms, but he refuses to eat ANY fruit and veg. I have tried with all sorts: salads, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, apples, strawberries, raspberries, dandelions and just about everything else I can find.

I tried putting him on a no-cricket no-superworm fast for 36 hours to see what would happen. I put small pieces of various veggies, 2 canned crickets and a little pile of dried pellets. He didn't eat anything (I counted every piece), but when my husband put his hand in the viv yesterday evening he bit him badly. Usually he is friendly and sociable (both of them are in fact).

The breeder said he was a glutton and wasn't wild about vegetables, but I didn't expect this. As an adult he's supposed to eat 80% vegetables - all those crickets can't be good for him and they will cost me a fortune.

What can I do? How can I wean him?

·
Registered
889 Posts
At one year old, I wouldn't consider him fully adult, and you may find that as he gets older his interest in veg grows. We have babies at the moment and I've not seen any of them even consider eating the veg that's put in for them. They like the chase of the crickets. However, I've tried to trick them into eating some of their greens by dropping the crickets into the bowl. When the crickets move, so does the veg, so they might think it's alive and worth investigating. And if they miss the crickets, they might get a mouthful of veg instead and discover it's not so bad after all! You can buy food dishes that vibrate - people use them to get snakes feeding because it fools them into thinking that the pinky is alive. It might work with veg for rankins too.
Our adult rankins absolutely love spinach and water cress - leafy type veg which is very easy for them to eat. You wouldn't find a wild dragon munching on a carrot - they are going to eat the leafy stuff - so it might be worth trying these if you haven't already. Butternut squash is another favourite of beardies and rankins too.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Above advise is great. Keep offering the veg each day, even if he's not eating it right now. Try dropping a few worms in his veggie dish... also try him with chopped sugar snap peas, most dragons/iggies love them! Dark leafy spring greens are great too.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
My baby rankins love butternut squash and are pretty good at eating their greens. I vowed to do it different with them to when I had my beardies so I put their greens and butternut in for them first in the morning, then I leave it for about an hour before I give them there crickets and they seem to like it that way. Its the beardies I get trouble eating greens ,Sometimes they go through a phase of only eating a few leaves , and no live food , but then they went through a phase of not eating anything or just one locust, and now they are both having a phase of not eating any greens but wolfing down morio worms like a kid with sweets.
Both beardies are a year old and they seem to be so finicky with there feeding habits, so I try not to worry to much as it will all probably change again in a few weeks, so probably thats whats happening with your rankins hopefully they will start eating a few greens soon have you tried putting a few wax worms in the bowl with thier greens?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dried food pellets instead of vegetables?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely try wax worms.

I soaked the bearded dragon pellets (Exo-Terra for juveniles) in a bit of water and it looks like he's eating it. Can it replace veggies? Perhaps some of the crickets even? 10 crickets a day is pretty hefty - especially for an animal as small as he is. Has anyone tried?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts