Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, you see so many threads saying 'My Royal isn't feeding' etc. and obviously most of us know Royals are no stranger to fasting. But does anyone have a Royal that never misses a feed? Never fasts at any time of the year?

Reactions: STSRoyals

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mine use to go like 2/3 months without a feed, then feed twice and then back to not feeding.

Since I moved him into a RUB and upped the temp slightly, he really hasn't missed many feeds, the only time he did was winter time. He then didn't feed for 2 months, but did feed for about 3 before hand and hasn't missed a feed in about 2 months, maybe 3 months now.

He does need a bigger Viv/Ter but if he did, I don't think he'd eat, going to try it in a few months anyway. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
519 Posts
And worth a mention, I don't actually have any royals that are 'bad' feeders, some won't feed while in blue and only a few of the males will fast during the breeding months. I do have 2 that prefer drop feeding but on the whole never had any real issues. It was only through joining RFUK that I got an idea of just how fussy royals can be, so at least I wont be panicking if I ever do acquire a fussy beggar!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
My female is fasting now, but it took her at least five years to go on a fast, from what I've heard royals usually start fasting at about the age of two

·
Registered
74 Posts
Both my royals feed well now and hardly ever miss a feed however when they were hatchlings it was a totally different story, took me what seemed like a lifetime to get them going properly

Joe

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I only have two royals, one's an oldie (at least 8 but could be older) and he fasts every year through November to end of Feb/early March. My other royal has only missed two feeds since I've owned him (11-12 months) and never missed a feed with his previous owner, he's going on three years old.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
All mine are perfect feeders and never ever missed a feed, well they've missed 1 but no more than one apart from my spider who did a 5 week fast and is eating again. Other than that they all eat every 7/10 days without a doubt, or miss just 1 every so often (Tends to be my adult pastel). But even my boa goes of his food sometimes.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Most of mine eat year round unless they are breeding.

I do have a fussy male but that is because he loves mice and I want him to eat rats instead. :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
I have had 4 royals. Every one was a fab eater that never refused. This spans an 8 week old male sub adult females and proven adult males...not one miss. I put it down to having a decent sized enclosure/viv.....packed to the rafters with hidey holes and greenery and the like. They have felt so secure that they have never been stressed out. My 3 year old male still ate like a trooper around breeding season too though this might have been due to the fact I had no females in the house at the time : victory:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Adam, clearly you and several other people who have replied to this thread are sharing their snakes' hemp substrate, possibly enhanced with fungal undergrowth of some sort.

It is well known that royal pythons do not eat, but subsist, StarTrek-emotional-vampire-like, on the worry generated by their owners when they go off feeding for two or three years at a time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts