Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive only had him since last saturday 18th sep 2010

it just sneezed once but i heard it before once the other day.
Im very worried my snake has respatory infection, i havent seen any discharge.

it doesnt have "breathing problems" that i could see how would i know?

i live in a little town called glossop, and i dont have acar so i need avet that treats snakes withing a short pubic transport like local machester picadiully station or ashton under lyne , hyde,stallybridge some place like that.

i hear if it was respatory infection then and early best way to help it would be to try raise the temp but without my microclimate thermostat that im waiting for in the post this week i have to leave the heat lamp on 24/7 cos when thats on the temp is around 82f (27.7c) i know it should be about 88f but im havng trouble untill my gear arives in the post.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
well a stat isnt going to increase ur temps ????????? maybe ur getting a more powerful bulb too?

not sure on sneezing but id get a 100% silent room and have snake moving through ur hands and flicking tongue near ur ear
listen for faint clicking noises - BAD !!!!!
maybe for excessive wind/air movemnt in its body as it moves through hand (a bit of this can be normal though)
look MORE for bubbles from nostrils and sides of mouth

oooooo a nice one , open its mouth with a a cotton bud !!!!!!! maybe best to have someone else hold snakes body ; YOU hold snakes just behind the head at the sides , then work the plastic bit of cotton but gently to open its mouth (dont get cotton ends on the teeth) and lift the roof of the mouth open , you are looking for excess saliva STRINGING from the sides of top and bottom jaws and also maybe some cheesy yellow stuff in roof of mout

PHEW !!!!!!!!!! :2thumb:

hope i havent mispelt too much

am a bit dyslexic

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
what substrate is he kept on? maybe it just irritated him a bit if you only heard one sneeze. you need to sort your temps out sooner rather than later. is there anyway you could get into town to buy a thermostat off the shelf rather than waiting a week for the post.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what substrate is he kept on? maybe it just irritated him a bit if you only heard one sneeze. you need to sort your temps out sooner rather than later. is there anyway you could get into town to buy a thermostat off the shelf rather than waiting a week for the post.
ive only had him from a previous owner since last saturday 18th sept
im using newspaper as a substrate
i have a 150w ceramic bulb, fittings/holder and microclimate B1 600w dimming thermosstat comming in post eather tomrrow (sep 23rd) or friday for sure. at the moment all i can do to bring up the temp is leave the heat bulb i have on 24/7 for the next day or so till the kit arives.

pro: heat up to 83f (28+c)
con: hes hiding so thats ok but... as far as the day night thing its gonna be day day day untill the kit comes, like i said should be tomrrow
but im still gonna call my local vets :(
i

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
i have a 150w ceramic bulb, fittings/holder and microclimate B1 600w dimming thermosstat comming in post eather tomrrow (sep 23rd) or friday for sure. at the moment all i can do to bring up the temp is leave the heat bulb i have on 24/7 for the next day or so till the kit arives.

con: hes hiding so thats ok but... as far as the day night thing its gonna be day day day untill the kit comes, like i said should be tomrrow
i
If its a ceramic bulb it wont give off any light, are you sure its ceramic.
If your temps are that low dont feed untill you have them sorted

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

i
sorry,i misunderstood when the stat was being delivered. did he not have a stat when you bought him or did you buy just him. btw im not critising but is the bulb guarded,if not then you need one of those too. good luck with sorting him out x

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
day day day
well spotted nelly1

so not sounding like a ceramic - THANK GOD !!!!!! a 150W ceramic running without a stat would probably cook the snake :gasp:

not sure if dimming stats work on ceramics ( i know they are great on heat bulbs) , im sure someone will advise

just think we need clarification these things

and have you given the checkover yet?

we will all try and get u through this and u''ll be a very happy owner :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If its a ceramic bulb it wont give off any light, are you sure its ceramic.
If your temps are that low dont feed untill you have them sorted
you miss understand me, at the moment i have a regular light emiting heat bulb with a heat matt , i switch of the light bulb at night, but the temp went down, i think the bulb is 100w

coming in tomorrows post hopefully is, a
150w ceramic lamp/bulb with holder/fixings and a

microclimate B1 600w max dimming thermostat

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry,i misunderstood when the stat was being delivered. did he not have a stat when you bought him or did you buy just him. btw im not critising but is the bulb guarded,if not then you need one of those too. good luck with sorting him out x
im getting a guard with the cermic bulb i forgot to mention
most important parts is the heat stuff

at this stage its unlikly he would burn his self because the viv is 18 (14 inch between ground and bulb) and hes only 2 years old and about 2 ft ish

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
glad ur getting the good stuff, well done

but i wouldnt underestimate their abilities , i wouldnt even set the ceramic up without the guard

they can escape/ reach the most unfathomable places

its a harsh lesson to have to learn so is better to not have to for as long as possible

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well spotted nelly1

so not sounding like a ceramic - THANK GOD !!!!!! a 150W ceramic running without a stat would probably cook the snake :gasp:

not sure if dimming stats work on ceramics ( i know they are great on heat bulbs) , im sure someone will advise
im miss understood forgive me.

RIGHT NOW its a light emitting bulb and a heat mat

in the post probabbly tomrrow ill be getting a microclimate b1 dimming thermostat, ceramic bulb/lamp its holder/fixings/ soon after ill be getting the guard

THe mannual on the microclimate thermostate says

The
B1 Thermostat is designed to give precise microprocessor

controlled temperature of heat sources up to 600 watts. This may
include heatmats, ceramics, bulbs and other heat sources. The heat

source must be a minimum of 5 watts

what i said about day day day is, because the biggest heat sorce is the light emitting heat bulb i have now. with it, i get 85f without it is concibrablly less and is bad for the snake

so.....
untill tomorrows post hopfully

ill have to leave the light emitting bulb on to keep the heat good enough for the snake

when the kit comes is it ok to set it on 88f (about 31-32c) is that ok?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
if you are worried about r i then give him a warmish bath, this will work as a kind of expectorant

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
glad ur getting the good stuff, well done

but i wouldnt underestimate their abilities , i wouldnt even set the ceramic up without the guard
the guard is also in the post i just dont think it will come at the same time cos the guard is hand made aperntly lol from ebay costing £7.00 total

soon as the kit comes im installing it
soon as the guard comes i will install that to

both as quick as possable cos i dont wanna keep the poor snake in the rub for to long

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you are worried about r i then give him a warmish bath, this will work as a kind of expectorant

ok this is what observed....
he uncoiled,
he then went to the waterbowel for what seemed a drink

he then what seemed "yawned" lol

then as he was going to a hide he made atiny tiny what sounded like a sneeze

thats it......

p.s i dont have a bath, i have a walk in shower

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
you can use a sink or a bowl (?)
with r i's you can usually observe mucas like bubbles coming out of their mouth without having to get the snakes mouth open
if the gaping and 'sneezing' get any worse/more frequent it could be r i

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
im still confused

uve now said its in a RUB ? if so, how do u have a bulb being used?

and u have a heatmat as well?

we can maybe advise u on setting things up best till EVERTHING arrives

is the ceramic stuff for a viv ?

i REALLY would set it up without the guard , u could fry ur snake in 1 night .

id sort ur rub as best as pos, until the viv is ready ( if im understanding half of this right)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
im still confused

i REALLY would not set it up without the guard , u could fry ur snake in 1 night .

id sort ur rub as best as pos, until the viv is ready ( if im understanding half of this right)
pour vous :whistling2:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im still confused

i REALLY would set it up without the guard , u could fry ur snake in 1 night .

i have a SPAIR rub, i baught for when i clean the viv

my snake is in a 3ft x 15 x 18 high wooden vivarium

ok sure i wont put the ceramic up without the guard.....however

that means the old light emitting heat bulb will be on 24/7 to keep the temp up to acceptable levels, if i switch that off the temp goes to low for the snake

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you can use a sink or a bowl (?)
with r i's you can usually observe mucas like bubbles coming out of their mouth without having to get the snakes mouth open
if the gaping and 'sneezing' get any worse/more frequent it could be r i
i saw it "yawn" just the once and there was no bubbles

1 - 20 of 46 Posts