Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can someone help me, do snakes get depressed, my boyfriend bought home a black tube from work to put in the snakes tank,since that we havnt seen him much, hes very shy too, do snakes go quieter in winter,we have a heat mat but does he NEED lights?? help

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Cornsnakes don't need UV light, but they should be kept at between 75F and 85F roughly (with a heat gradient across the viv.) It may be that, with the room temperature dropping as winter sets in, your heatmat just isn't strong enough; some of ours only reach 79F on a good day! How long ago did this start, as he may be hiding due to an impeding shed?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
he doesn't need aartificial light unless the room he's in means he's always in the dark. if this is the case then you need to put 12 hour on off timer on a uv tube type light.
could he be getting ready to shed. have his eyes gone blue. this would mean he wouldn't venture out for a week or so. it could be that since he has his new hide he just wants to stay in there!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
What sort of snake do you have?
Snakes do not get depressed during the winter.. what are your temperatures like? He may be too cool and thus feeling rather listless.
Most snakes do not need artificial light, but should have a normal day/night cycle of light and dark.

You say he has a tube to hide in, is that his only hide? Did he have any hides before you added the tube?
Snakes should always have access to hides and many species wil not spend time cruising round the cage if they have the option to hide away. Snakes are secretive by nature.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I wouldn't bother with UV for a snake - he'll more likely hide even more as the bright light would make him feel exposed. UV/any bright light can also be harmful to a snakes eyes in some cases, so I've heard.
A low wattage standard bulb - 12w standard or 15w pigmy bulb - would do fine if you don't get enough natural light in the room for him to easily tell the difference between night and day.

If he's a young snake it's natural for them to hide most of the time - in the wild they'd be easy prey for predators so he's just following his instincts. With mine, it's usually been anything from 12-36 months that they get a bit bolder and come out more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts