Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i fed my royal python for the second time since ive had him he was on 1 small mouse but it didnt seen enough so i thought i would give him 2 he ate the first one straight away but the second 1 he didnt seem that bothered with when i moved it with the tongs/tweezers he moved after it but didnt eat it so i dipped the mouses head in hot water for a few seconds and went to put i back with him and he striked as i was putting it into the box i think i need some longer tongs/tweezers coz he nearly had my finger:lol2:thought i might just tell you all i was just thinking does everyone let their snakes strike or would you rather them not?

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
congratz mate i dont mind if my snakes strike or not when i had my royals in tubs with lids on id dangle it there for them to strike and if they didnt id just leave it in there for them and they would eat it (most of the time lol)

but now ive got my new rack i fed them tonight and one of them was there and struck when i slid the tub out and was about to drop it in the other 3 i just slid the tub out dropped the mouse/rat and all have been eaten now :no1:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
congratz mate i dont mind if my snakes strike or not when i had my royals in tubs with lids on id dangle it there for them to strike and if they didnt id just leave it in there for them and they would eat it (most of the time lol)

but now ive got my new rack i fed them tonight and one of them was there and struck when i slid the tub out and was about to drop it in the other 3 i just slid the tub out dropped the mouse/rat and all have been eaten now :no1:
thanks ive got mine in a viv and get him out and feed him in a box coz i was told they can get viv/tub defensive?but im a starter on snakes so i dont really no:lol2:good to hear that your snakes have all eaton to:2thumb:just hope mine dosnt stop eating like people say royals do

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
i wish my royal would strike! she just shows no interest in it when i try, and if i try for too long she wont eat it at all!

i tend to either strike or drop feed my milk, he will do both, one hognose i drop feed as he wont eat at all if i scare him with the mouse, and another hoggy i strike feed.

i believe striking feeding is more "natural" for them, and it uses muscles that normally wouldnt be used without striking. However, if they dont want to, they dont want to. im not to fussed either way. as long as the mouse ends up in its belly, im happy. :)

·
Banned
986 Posts
I always try to make my snake strike as I feel it's more natural for her and, frozen mice aside, I'd like her to live as natural as possible.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Its great when they strike ive got a female what changes her mind evry week one week she strikes other she drop feeds im just glad shes eating

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wish my royal would strike! she just shows no interest in it when i try, and if i try for too long she wont eat it at all!

i tend to either strike or drop feed my milk, he will do both, one hognose i drop feed as he wont eat at all if i scare him with the mouse, and another hoggy i strike feed.

i believe striking feeding is more "natural" for them, and it uses muscles that normally wouldnt be used without striking. However, if they dont want to, they dont want to. im not to fussed either way. as long as the mouse ends up in its belly, im happy. :)

aha hope mine dosnt get like that! but i guess most royals go through that stage:lol2: i might let him strike 1 of the mice and just put the other in the box so he can just eat that however he likes would this work?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
im not sure tbh, as the only experience i have with non strike feeders is if they get a fright (which my hog and royal do) they wont eat it at all, so i just drop feed them and dont bother trying no more. id rather a full belly then a failed strike attempt.

im hoping one day she will surprise me and want to strike feed one day, but until that day comes, im happy enough drop feeding her. :)

if i was you and i had a strike feeding royal, i would always strike feed. But again, as long as its feeding, thats the main thing for me. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im not sure tbh, as the only experience i have with non strike feeders is if they get a fright (which my hog and royal do) they wont eat it at all, so i just drop feed them and dont bother trying no more. id rather a full belly then a failed strike attempt.

im hoping one day she will surprise me and want to strike feed one day, but until that day comes, im happy enough drop feeding her. :)

if i was you and i had a strike feeding royal, i would always strike feed. But again, as long as its feeding, thats the main thing for me. :)
ok am hoping he will strike feed next week but if he dosnt then ill do it how i uselly do(just put it in the box)is it ok to dunk the mouses head in boiling water for a few seconds every time he feeds or only when he's not going to eat?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
All 8 of my royals strike and I love it. So satisfying when you see the tongue flick that catches the scent and they home in on it and line up for the 'kill'.

I also take them out and put them in seperate feeding tubs. I'm lucky as all my royals are pretty active, but they know that once I take them out and stick them in the spare tub and put the lid on so I can go and hairdry the mice that they will be getting fed soon so just wait patiently lol...wouldn't change my royals for anything in the world :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
You may find heating the food will make you less likely to get bitten. Luckily my Royal has struck every time I've fed him but on days I've been lazy and not heated the rat he is a lot less accurate and has almost got me a couple of times. Sometimes he seems to strike to my hand even though there is a rat dangling on tongs in front of his nose. I've always thought the scent gets him excited but he uses his infrared sense to line up the strike. Don't know if this is typical or not...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All 8 of my royals strike and I love it. So satisfying when you see the tongue flick that catches the scent and they home in on it and line up for the 'kill'.

I also take them out and put them in seperate feeding tubs. I'm lucky as all my royals are pretty active, but they know that once I take them out and stick them in the spare tub and put the lid on so I can go and hairdry the mice that they will be getting fed soon so just wait patiently lol...wouldn't change my royals for anything in the world :)
yer mines really active to but now i fed him 2 mice he's been hiding under the hide for 2 days probaly digesting the food:lol2:really want another their really addictive(if thats the word)and i only have the 1 might wait till next year though and then think of getting another:2thumb:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You may find heating the food will make you less likely to get bitten. Luckily my Royal has struck every time I've fed him but on days I've been lazy and not heated the rat he is a lot less accurate and has almost got me a couple of times. Sometimes he seems to strike to my hand even though there is a rat dangling on tongs in front of his nose. I've always thought the scent gets him excited but he uses his infrared sense to line up the strike. Don't know if this is typical or not...
i defrost the mice by putting them in tinfoil and put them over a cup of boiling water but will keep on dipping their heads in the hot water because i dont want to be bitten:lol2:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
yer mines really active to but now i fed him 2 mice he's been hiding under the hide for 2 days probaly digesting the food:lol2:really want another their really addictive(if thats the word)and i only have the 1 might wait till next year though and then think of getting another:2thumb:
Addictive is along the right lines but no where near a strong enough word to express how much this hobby can get you hooked...I started off getting my first Normal male Royal on 1st September and in 3 months have got another 9 and am looking at gettin a pair of Albinos too lol...addictive just doesn't cut it mate haha!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts