Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, everyone seems to making threads for their collections so I thought I would. So I will put all pics of my snakes and their setups in this thread, and update it often

I do not have any of my own snakes at the moment, but I will be getting one or two his year, but for now I thought I would put up some pics of my schools snake. I look after him when ever there is a school holiday and I am responsible for checking on him and caring for him at school. He is a amel (I think) corn snake and about a year and a half old. At school he is called bob but me and my mum have renamed him Zeus when we are looking after him as we think it is a much better name

Here are a few pics -

His temporary setup. This is what he is in at the moment as I only have him for a week,l will be setting something bigger up for the next time I have him as he is over 2 foot now

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Can anyone tell me if he is a amel or not?

I will hopefully be get a snake soon so I will update this thread when if I do

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try and get a better pic some time this week. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No one like?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hi, everyone seems to making threads for their collections so I thought I would. So I will put all pics of my snakes and their setups in this thread, and update it often

I do not have any of my own snakes at the moment, but I will be getting one or two his year, but for now I thought I would put up some pics of my schools snake. I look after him when ever there is a school holiday and I am responsible for checking on him and caring for him at school. He is a amel (I think) corn snake and about a year and a half old. At school he is called bob but me and my mum have renamed him Zeus when we are looking after him as we think it is a much better name

Here are a few pics -

His temporary setup. This is what he is in at the moment as I only have him for a week,l will be setting something bigger up for the next time I have him as he is over 2 foot now

Can anyone tell me if he is a amel or not?

I will hopefully be get a snake soon so I will update this thread when if I do

Thanks for any replies

That's a lovely corn!
Just a heads up. I see you're using wood-shavings that are common for rodent pets; however there is quite a bit of research suggesting that these wood-shavings (which are usually cedar) are actually toxic to reptiles.

I'm not saying you should definitely go and change it; but just be aware that this may be the case. If you are concerned, it would probably be wise to switch it off the wood-shavings and onto aspen.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a lovely corn!
Just a heads up. I see you're using wood-shavings that are common for rodent pets; however there is quite a bit of research suggesting that these wood-shavings (which are usually cedar) are actually toxic to reptiles.

I'm not saying you should definitely go and change it; but just be aware that this may be the case. If you are concerned, it would probably be wise to switch it off the wood-shavings and onto aspen.
He was on wood shavings for a while and he had no problems on it at all, but since I have got some aspen and changed him to it

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
He was on wood shavings for a while and he had no problems on it at all, but since I have got some aspen and changed him to it
Yeah, that sounds about right; I actually had a number of my animals on wood shavings as well with no problems before I found this out. I only mentioned it as since changing a while back I've heard a horror stories of cedar wood shavings causing problems.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I say he never had any problems when he was on wood shavings but better to be safe than sorry I suppose. It was just what I had at the time, I nought it would be better to I've him something to burrow in because he is normally on paper at school, but he loves to burrow

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some more pics

The corn snake is now mine. My school gave him to me when I left. I think he is definitely a amel now as he has got older his colours have come out more

I also now have a apricot pueblan milk snake. His name is Thor. He is CB Late 2012

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Watching the colour change on a Corn is one of the best colour changes a snake does ;-) Enjoy nice Reps

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
His colour has changed a lot, and I think they have got brighter and better, but he is mental. He has a mental feeding response and he is scared of hands in his viv, because he had a incident with somebody when he was kept at my school.

I will have to update this thread soon with new pics. I am also hoping to get a few new snakes this year. I am on the look out for a nice anery corn snake, a house snake, and a dumerils boa. I am starting to think it is impossible to find a dumerils boa in this country, but I will find one within the next two years.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Makes me want an amel now :mf_dribble: (and yes corn snakes are like colourful worms, but they're FUN worms :2thumb:)
Nice milk too : victory:
They'll seem a lot different when you get your boa, I only got my BCI last week and already they both seem so much skinnier and weaker in comparison! (Doesn't stop me wanting a third, though. or fourth. Or sixth.)

I think school pets are a risk not worth taking, some kids can be psychos when it comes to animals!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Makes me want an amel now :mf_dribble: (and yes corn snakes are like colourful worms, but they're FUN worms :2thumb:)
Nice milk too : victory:
They'll seem a lot different when you get your boa, I only got my BCI last week and already they both seem so much skinnier and weaker in comparison! (Doesn't stop me wanting a third, though. or fourth. Or sixth.)

I think school pets are a risk not worth taking, some kids can be psychos when it comes to animals!
Yeah a school pet in the last school that I went definitely wasn't a good idea. It was only there for a year when I was in year 11, and the teacher only really brought it in because he knew I had lizards and inverts and had a interest in reptiles.

I have a feeling he didn't want it anymore so he thought he would bring it in as a school pet. He made me responsible for caring for it and I would get it out and handle it in my science lessons because our science teacher was the only teacher that really liked it. But the biggest problem came when he didn't tell me when he was going to bring it in to school and I hadn't had time to get a lock on the viv, and then that one day when the snake was in the viv without a lock and somebody slapped the snake with a ruler. That's why he is now scared of hands in the viv. So now I have to get him out with a hook before I can handle him

·
Registered
293 Posts
somebody slapped the snake with a ruler.
!?!
:bash::bash:

Does not surprise me at all. If we had a school pet in my school, I'd be terrified on the animal's behalf. It's more than a little worrying that so many of my generation enjoy such random acts of violence. I've seen year sevens crushing frogs for fun, it's unfathomable.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
!?!
:bash::bash:

Does not surprise me at all. If we had a school pet in my school, I'd be terrified on the animal's behalf. It's more than a little worrying that so many of my generation enjoy such random acts of violence. I've seen year sevens crushing frogs for fun, it's unfathomable.
When I asked him why he did it he said he was scars of the snake and he thought it was going to bite him, but the snake was in its viv minding its own business, so he had to open the viv to get anywhere near it. Last time I checked snakes can't jump through glass

1 - 20 of 26 Posts