Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all...

not too sure if my snakes ill or if it's just normal snake behaviour.
well my snake, Tango, just got him/her about a month ago, s/he eats well and is usually out and about looking around, s/he's a very curious snake lol

but recently s/he's just been staying in his/her toilet tube thing and not coming out, s/he still eats fine but s/hes gone a mistyish colour so im assuming s/he's about to shed? but s/hes been like it for over a week now...just wondering if thats normal?

also s/he's still very skittish and nervous...but s/hes still a baby so I'm assuming thats the problem with that right?

Any advice wouyld be greatly welcomed :2thumb:

thanks

Aimee

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Their vision is slightly affected when shedding, so they'll be abit more skitish and nervous.

If it's been a week, then the shed should come pretty soon. : victory:

Have you been misting the viv or given her a soak in some luke warm water?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Aimee - our little corn snake, Yoshi, has been acting exactly the same! Weird huh! Last weds he decided to hide under the kitchen roll, and didn't come out until Friday. As he'd ventured out we tried a feed which he took and then promptly disappeared again - had a peek at him Saturday and his eyes were milky blue. I read a post on here and started misting his tank on Saturday so am hoping he'll shed real soon. I was thinking of posting actually much the same as you as he seems to be taking ages....
Hope Tango sheds soon! : victory:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Mine always hide away when they're about to shed. It's kinda stressful for them so best to just leave them be and keep their humidity up (spraying, humid hide if you like). Sometimes takes more than a week.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for everyones kind help! how do I mist the tank then? just spray it? I would try and put him/her in some luke warm water but s/he can be quite snippy and has bit me before so I'm a bit nervous about handing him/her lol

thanks again so much for everyones help!!!

Aimee :2thumb:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I just get a regular plant mister and spray in where snake is. If your snake has problems shedding you could add a humid hide (dampened sphagnum moss in a container). I think bathing might stress him out (and cause a bad shed) especially if he's already stressed - I tend to just leave mine alone.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Aimee - our little corn snake, Yoshi, has been acting exactly the same! Weird huh! Last weds he decided to hide under the kitchen roll, and didn't come out until Friday. As he'd ventured out we tried a feed which he took and then promptly disappeared again - had a peek at him Saturday and his eyes were milky blue. I read a post on here and started misting his tank on Saturday so am hoping he'll shed real soon. I was thinking of posting actually much the same as you as he seems to be taking ages....
Hope Tango sheds soon! : victory:
great minds think alike eh ? lol thanks for the help Elliedragon!!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just get a regular plant mister and spray in where snake is. If your snake has problems shedding you could add a humid hide (dampened sphagnum moss in a container). I think bathing might stress him out (and cause a bad shed) especially if he's already stressed - I tend to just leave mine alone.

ahh okay...leaving him/her alone does sound like the best plan to me lol, where can you get sphagnum moss? and what kind of container does it need to be because Tango's still in a a small home as he is still just a baby :lol2: and does the hide need to be warm etc ...you know on the warm side or normal side of his/her home ??

thanks again!

Aimee

·
Registered
48 Posts
shedding box

Hi, I put a plastic tub in with my corn filled with shredded newspaper and keep it damp with a spray mister this helps him shed and it stays humid which helps too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Snakey Ill?

I put a plastic tub filled with shredded newspaper that I keep damp with a spray mister in with my corn while he is shedding he loves it and it stays humid and helps him to shed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Aimee - just thought I'd let you know that Yoshi shed today so hopefully it won't be long before Tango does the same. Funnily enough his eyes went back to black (Oh, Amy Winehouse moment...) yesterday and then shed fully today. Might be a sign to look out for? Fingers crossed for a clean shed from Tango - Yoshi's was perfect and a wopping great 19" too :2thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.