Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have superworms for my pet anole, then they turned into pupas and hatched! The Darkling beetles are all in my container, four in general. I needed to ask if it was safe to keep them in my lizard's cage. One of then hatched that i didn't know of that i didn't find until it was black. Does this mean it's safe to keep Darkling beetles in my lizard's cage?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wouldn't imagine they'd do much of anything, put them in a tub using oatmeal as substrate, that's what I do with my mealworms, they may mate and lay eggs, after a while you'll have tiny baby morio worms, free food is always a win.

·
Registered
33,360 Posts
I have superworms for my pet anole, then they turned into pupas and hatched! The Darkling beetles are all in my container, four in general. I needed to ask if it was safe to keep them in my lizard's cage. One of then hatched that i didn't know of that i didn't find until it was black. Does this mean it's safe to keep Darkling beetles in my lizard's cage?
I wouldn't imagine they'd do much of anything, put them in a tub using oatmeal as substrate, that's what I do with my mealworms, they may mate and lay eggs, after a while you'll have tiny baby morio worms, free food is always a win.
Superworm beetles different from mealworm beetles, though. They are borers & can be destructive to your decor. They are also inedible to most reptiles as they apparently taste vile to them, unlike mealworm beetles.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ahh I didn't think about the decor, none of mine eat the mealworm battles, the breeding would be the same tho right? I know they won't pupate if left together tho, mine never last long enough anyway haha.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since there are different kinds of big worms (Superworms and Giant Mealworms), it's worth checking which you've got :

If they were *Morio* worms specifically (often called Superworms), the adult darkling beetles spray a nasty smelling chemical. This is unlikely to harm your animal physically unless it's a very delicately-skinned species (e.g. some frogs), or it takes a hit to its mucus membranes and is already a bit poorly/inflamed from something else, but it's rather unpleasant for your animal it's not going to make for a happy home. Get rid of them as/when you catch them, (but you don't need to treat it as an emergency.)

If they were Giant Mealworms, the adults are less problematic except for boring into e.g. corkwood, as others have already said :)

Easiest way to check is to check the adults.

If you have these, they're the sprayers and should be gotten rid of : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zophobas_morio#/media/File:Zophobas_morio_adultsmall.jpg

If you have these, they're less of a problem : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mealworm#/media/File:Tenebrio_molitor_01.JPG

Hope this helps :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts