Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new set up for my leo isn't hot enough, i have the heat mat under the tank (which has lino in it) with a piece of kitchen roll in between it. the surface temps is only reaching 79!! i know this isnt hot wnough how can i get it hotter? surely a bigger heat mat will just make it the same temperature over a larger surface area???:hmm::hmm::|

·
Registered
559 Posts
what wattage is the mat?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
where did you measure the temps from? you need to measure it on the bottom of the viv as leos sense heat underneath them :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Funny question but do you actually have a thermostat?
Thats a must, and if you do, how do you know if it's the mat or the stat thats broken?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh i have a stat and its workin fine iv used it with my collards. the mat is 11 watts i think. and yeh the temps were measured from the surface. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
what about a night glow bulb?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
what size viv do you have mate?
if you took the lino out and just had the kitchen towel more heat may be getting through as could it be getting blocked in?

also, if the stat is working, then if you slowly turn the dial down it cuts out yes? and is it cutting out and about 79?
and what are you measuring the surface temp with dude? a digi thermometer probe?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the tiles were self adhesive so cant really take them out. i set the stat at 88 but yeh its cuttin out at around 80 so temp is ryt. also measurin the temp with a round reptile thermometer thing. can i get a more powerfull heat mat?

wouldnt a night glo bulb be inneffective if they absorb the heat through there bellys??

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
hmm, self adhesive tiles = glue, heating glue up = fumes = a leo with a bad cough and a headache.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
also measurin the temp with a round reptile thermometer thing.
you might as well take the temperature with a turnip. I had one of the round thermometers then upgraded it to a digital one. I took it into work cos it was roasting and it never moved off 25c, then i turned the fan on and it stayed at 25c, i took it home and put it in the oven and yup... 25c

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
i agree with meko about the dial thermometer, invest in an electronic one with a probe :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well at the mo i have 2 pygmy bulbs in which give off virtually no heat. should i change one of them to a 40W spotlight bulb? and put that on the stat with the heat mat on 24-7?

quick cos im goin out to get em now got work tonight!!

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
no, buy a digital thermometer first. If you go swapping for a 40watt bulb plus the heat mat with a thermometer that could be wrong then it'll be too warm.
Plus you're using a heat mat which is heating the surface and you're measuring the temperature of the air so it's going to be a different heat to the surface.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok. are the strip thermometers just as bad? the vertical strip ones with numbers all the way up?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Yes, the strip thermometers are just as bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts