Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day when I put my hand in my 2 year old Horsfield's tortoise table to give her a little stroke, she opened her mouth and kept it open for a few seconds as if she was warning me off, then almost like pounced on my finger, I didn't think much of it.

However she is doing the same today whilst feeding her a bit of carrot that I had for tea, and she bit my girlfriend, then when I put my finger near her to see, she was trying to bite me..

I just put some more food in and she ran faster than I have ever seen her run before to it, do they bite when hungry?

What other reasons will a tortoise try to bite their owner?

I've done everything to try and make her a happy tortoise, she gets food and baths every day too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: She is still trying to bite even though she has eaten.

& she usually likes a stroke on her neck, she pokes it out for us to stroke it, just incase someone thinks it's because she doesn't like being stroked.

:)

Thanks.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you feed her by hand then i would think she is just seeing your fingers as food.
I took on a rescue that had only been feed pellets and she was a biter. But when i got her off them she really calmed down.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is different than just having some food, she will keep her mouth open for a bit as if to warn me off, then suddenly bite. Just like an alligator and crocodile will do.

It is like a bite of evil, I know she is not just generally thinking it is food because she doesn't hold her mouth open whilst just about to take a bite of food.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
possibly she is getting that way as a result of not liking being handled..my RES gapes as a threat if he thinks i'm gonna pick him up..the other terrapins couldnt care less

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's that too, as she does wriggle a bit if you pick her up.

Can't help it sometimes though if I'm to put her in her bath and that!

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
My ibera does this, she sees fingers as food and will try and bite them.
I never stroke mine though i only touch mine once a day if that, tortoises should be seen as pritty rocks over handling is very stressfull

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
aggressive streak

I too, own a horsefield with an aggressive streak the litlle :censor: took a bite out of my toe the other weekend and still came back for more.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
mind you at least with a horsefield you leave him in his house and he cant get out, its abit more of a nightmare when you got a full size grumpy sulcata chasing after you, trust me :lol2: i think mine needs a girlfriend to be honest.

·
Registered
634 Posts
mind you at least with a horsefield you leave him in his house and he cant get out, its abit more of a nightmare when you got a full size grumpy sulcata chasing after you, trust me :lol2: i think mine needs a girlfriend to be honest.
LOL Yeh my Sulcatta had me cornered once.. and I feared for my toes!

My little Hermanns has only ever bit one person on his very 1st day of moving in with us.. Is was my Boyfriends neice. She's a bit scary with a bit TOO much love for animals and the cats run scared now. I think Stewie must have sensed her love coming and thought "hmmm best show her i'm not as cute as I look!" *CHOMP*:lol2:

·
Registered
1 Posts

& she usually likes a stroke on her neck, she pokes it out for us to stroke it, just incase someone thinks it's because she doesn't like being stroked.

Thanks.[/QUOTE a tortoise will bite for many reasons mating season or hungry or bored or cant be bothered being touched or in my case if someone keeps attacking it ie trying to kill it ive noticed my tortoise is scared of my boyfriend ive never seen him do anything to my tortoise put when I go to work and come back my tortoise backs away from me and then wees so I know something is wrong ive checked my tortoise put I cant see anything wrong with him today I was cleaning my tortoises enclosure and he bit me he has never done that before evry time I go to work I worry something is going to happen to him can anyone give me advice on this

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts

Thanks.[/QUOTE a tortoise will bite for many reasons mating season or hungry or bored or cant be bothered being touched or in my case if someone keeps attacking it ie trying to kill it ive noticed my tortoise is scared of my boyfriend ive never seen him do anything to my tortoise put when I go to work and come back my tortoise backs away from me and then wees so I know something is wrong ive checked my tortoise put I cant see anything wrong with him today I was cleaning my tortoises enclosure and he bit me he has never done that before evry time I go to work I worry something is going to happen to him can anyone give me advice on this
Best to start your own thread with details of species, age, what the tortoise is housed in, temperatures, substrate, diet etc so we can get some sort of idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.