Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tortoise is only 1 and already been injured by my dog, :( which the dog usually get along fine with it, doesnt really bother with it at that...

I was giving it a clean yesterday in the garden and can usually leave her in the area i made for the tort to venture with out getting lost whilst i can do my bits in the kitchen etc... i seen that it was fine so i went in to get a drink and when i came out side the tort was gone from the location, then i see my dog with it in its mouth so i ran over to get the tortoise :censor: and there was blood so straight away i thought it was dead, its head and legs were in its shell and no movement, at this time i could only see blood.

So i boiled hot water to sterilize and waited for it to cool down so i could nurse the poor thing, then her head came out (thNk god!!!!!) but there was still slight bleeding but then when i cleaned the tortoise up it was her shell. cracked at the back near her leg, and bite marks chewed arount the sides, but now i dont know what to do!!!!!!!!!!

i have put plasters on her where the wounds are but what to do next???

pleassseeeeee help with advise

thank you

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hence why I asked what species the tortoise was, ummmmm strange how no answer has been forthcoming eh!
I recon its cause they came on here having been really stupid (im sorry but thats my opinion, I know accidents happen, but I wouldnt let my dog near my turts same as my cats back when I had Gerbils. its just common sence) , and someone told them that, they were hoping there was a quick fix that wouldnt require a vet (e.g plasters or perxoide), there wasnt so they wont bother coming back.

Its harsh because everyone makes mistakes, but I dont really know what they were expecting. The posters on here are pationate about their animals and their care.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
"Being stupid" and how is that my friend, i thing your lack of knowledge that keeps repeating its self is more of a wind up on here than a question i asked you cant even answer, and yeah i let my dog near my tort are you completely stupid, of course i did not. it didnt bother with it (read others qotes not just your own key board warrior) and next did i dare say a quick fix and no vet required as you quoted anally, as i asked in my threat WHAT ALTERNATIVES CAN I USE AS AN ANTICEPTIC AS THE VET IS NOT ABLE TO CUM UNTIL AFTER 2 VISITS. dammmm so stupid, and plasters and perxide hahaha Hydrogen Peroxide my lovey, which was instructed by my vet him self as i didnt have betadine as the vet would have to give me that him self.

lack of reply due to sick herman tortoise and i already know they eat worms, for treats give them mushy cooked peas, tomatoes etc, temp, life style, hence thats why i got one in the first place,

id rather you not quote my requests as your no use; other than a obnoxious pain in the hoop lol
I did answer your questions correctly, go to a vet and in the mean time keep it away from stress. Im not a tortoise person as my sig clearly indicates but its nice to try and help when you didnt have any replies from torty people at that moment in time. I would imagine at that time you were doing your nut and quite rightly.

But let me just explain why I felt and still do feel Hyrdrogen peroxide maybe wasnt the best thing to use.
Ofcourse your vet reconmended it, which is his/her choice, but having asked a uni mate doing a vet science course they certainly wouldnt.
You try putting hyrdrogen peroxide on an open wound when you next get a cut. My dads partner is a hairdresser, did the same thing by accident . Nice infection and a hell of alot of pain.
Its even used to make dogs sick. They tried using it in humans for a blood disorder,guess what a few of the patients died from it.
Im not saying you are one atall, so dont take this the wrong way but the nazis used hyrdrogen peroxide injections to kill people in concentration camps.
Them things made me think, hang on this stuff might be dangerous. I appreiciate your watered in down, but still its a risk, you took and thank god your tortoise has pulled through.

What alternatives? hmmm what about any that the good members here offered? or perhaps the search function of the forums, as this kind of thing happens alot unfortunatly.

Do you ever see the news, or read papers? Doesnt dog attacking child or other animals make you think atall? they all say the same thing, it was always ok with it before, doesnt that no you think atall what if?
No matter how you try and dress it you were stupid. Remeber a few weeks back their was a story about two babies getting attacked by a fox. Same happened to a tortoise in Norfolk somewhere (cant quite remeber the place name but it will come to me)
You didnt let your dog near your tortoise, can it teleport? Im assumming your not new to dog owning, so you should know they are far from stupid. Ofcourse if there is an area they cant get to because its been somwhat blocked off they are going to attempt to get their out of curiosity, espeically if theres a play thing there. A dog may seem tame and be used to people but they are still wild at heart.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
"Being stupid" and how is that my friend, i thing your lack of knowledge that keeps repeating its self is more of a wind up on here than a question i asked you cant even answer, and yeah i let my dog near my tort are you completely stupid, of course i did not. it didnt bother with it (read others qotes not just your own key board warrior) and next did i dare say a quick fix and no vet required as you quoted anally, as i asked in my threat

WHAT ALTERNATIVES CAN I USE AS AN ANTICEPTIC AS THE VET IS NOT ABLE TO CUM UNTIL AFTER 2 VISITS.

dammmm so stupid, and plasters and perxide hahaha Hydrogen Peroxide my lovey, which was instructed by my vet him self as i didnt have betadine as the vet would have to give me that him self.

lack of reply due to sick herman tortoise and i already know they eat worms, for treats give them mushy cooked peas, tomatoes etc, temp, life style, hence thats why i got one in the first place,

id rather you not quote my requests as your no use; other than a obnoxious pain in the hoop lol
My answers to the bits in bold

What else could you do you asked? Well you could do the same as I had to do last Friday evening at 9.30pm when I had an ill tortoise - you could get off your backside and go find one.

I had to drive for an hour to get to the emergency after hours vet and was there about 10.45 - 11.30 at night.

If I can find a vet in the night-time then you could have found another vet in the daytime so instead of sitting in waiting for the vet you could have gone and got another one.

lack of you replying cos of a sick tortoise - well I am cleansing, cleaning, bathing, putting cream on and injecting one of mine four times a day, running a house with two special needs children in it, have a husband who has depression currently plus the son's ex g/f living here plus my neice, getting the shopping and doing everything for the children. Ohhh and I have ME so I think I am a little busy too eh, but still my tortoises get sorted (along with my other animals) plus I answer some questions on here

Lastly Hermans may well try the odd worm or slug but it is not a recommended part of their diet. Neither is cooked mushy peas, tomatoes etc., Their natural diet would be weeds, weeds and more weeds - have a look at the safe plant list for what to correctly feed the little chap.

I very rarely answer post in the manner that I have answered this one but really do think your attitude and manner leaves a lot to be desired.

ETA - I wouldn't have used hydrogen peroxide as it stings your head when you use it to bleach your hair so logically thinking it'd sting an animals skin, diluted or not.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I thought you didnt have time to reply as you have an ill tortoise? I didnt aswer questions, why dont you look at the first few replies of this thread, bleeding shell?
I have never said I am an expert in torts, infact quite the oppersite in the first page I gave a quick senisble reply.
Stupid? Well your clearly the brain of britain. I am not stupid, and not that I have to prove it or its just about qualifications but I do have 4 alevels and starting my 3rd year of a law degree. Oh and I didnt let my dog get close enough to any of my turtles to maul them, so I guess I have some common sense too. So perhaps you should think more before you type.

I never said you did the wrong thing with hyrdrogen perixoide, I am no vet but I did say from the my knowledge of the stuff I personally wouldnt use it, if I was the only one that thought that fair enough, but I wernt others were a little shocked too. I asked a friend who knows their stuff and she said she wouldnt either but its what your vet said so it doesnt really matter as long as it worked.
I did however say it was stupid for letting the dog get to the tort in the first place, and as I stated in that post it is my opinion and im entitled to it. Its not sladerous or a libel so deal with it, you dont have to read my opinion if you dont want to. It was a mistake and hopefully you have learnt from it and others reading the posts too.

And im not ganging up here, but I have to agree with mrs Mental. My animals ill or injured I drive it to the vets right away, when I was not old enough to drive and a parent couldnt drive me I got a taxi. Part of owning pets is you have to be prepared to get them to a vet as soon as they need it and not sit around waiting for others. From what I have read you were lucky the torts injuries wernt too bad, what if it had got an internal injury and was bleeding heavily.
Il leave it at this, because I certainly have better things to do than a petty argument and I really hope you do tbh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts